1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot up problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shogun697, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shogun697

shogun697 Thread Starter

Hi was hoping someone could help when i go to start up my laptop it won't boot and goes to this error
    "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dal.
    please re-install a copy of the above file
    Any help would be great thanks.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Do you have your Windows XP CD?

3. shogun697

shogun697 Thread Starter

Its a friends old five year old laptop and no he does not have the cd.He asked me if i could fix it(he went anyway and got a new laptop but his girlfriend who is not working needs one for her, back to work course)I'm in the mist of doing a computer repair night class(not charging my friends)(irelands broke!!!)I can get a old xp cd off someone are can use a ubunty cd i have.I have never reinstalled but have fixed 40 to 50 of friends and familys computers(I'm the worse business man ever have yet to make a penny!hell that might be enough to get me a job in a bank on wall street!!)
    So any help with this problem would be great.Thanks from Ireland

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

If you can get a CD, you can enter the Recovery Console and restore the file.

When you reach the command line prompt, type the following and then press Enter:
    expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

Using the expand command as shown above, d represents the drive letter assigned to the optical drive that your Windows XP CD is currently in. While this is most often d, your system could assign a different letter. Also, c:\windows represents the drive and folder that Windows XP is currently installed on. Again, this is most often the case but your system could be different.

If you're prompted to overwrite the file, press Y.

Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a missing or corrupt hal.dll file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

If this doesn't work, you could use the CD to do a Repair Install.

A Repair Install will replace the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
    Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.
    Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice