1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jtrofimczuk, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtrofimczuk

jtrofimczuk Thread Starter

Im also havinbg problems with my computer bootup.

It started suddenly today, i was working on something and the computer automatically shutdown without a warning. The monitor went off, and now the tower has frozen.

When i turn off the tower and turn it back on, the green light comes on but the amber light stays on and doesnt go off. There arent any beeps either.

I dont know what is the problem.

Could the CPU / motherboard be damaged?

Could the Battery for BIOS be gone?

Have i got a bad cluster in hard drive?

Its a TIME computer, and 7 months ago, i installed a new hard drive due to a doggy previous one, its been working fine upto now.

Its difficult becasue i cant even get onto the BIOS and DOS to check system diagnostics.

Please help!!!!!!!

jason

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Jason, giving you your own thread for the problem. This is better than trying to hitch onto an old one.

Yes it could be most any of those except probably a bad cluster, since it isn't getting as far as booting the drive if you cannot even see the BIOS screen.

Shutdown, remove the case and replace the battery first of all. You may also need to use the shorting jumpers near the battery to reset the cmos. This is just done as a momentary short.

Check your drive cables and reseat the ram while you are in there.

Power supply is a question too.

You may have some faulty ram that caused the shutdown and if you have more than one module, try just one at a time.

Verify whether the fan starts and works properly and if there is a lot of dust accumulation, you need to clean that out.

You may also want to unplug the entire system for a while with the battery out before replacing it.

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

Rog

I'm glad you explained about the new thread - Jason PM'd me for advice and I said to check the power supply, but that I would post to his thread - when I saw his thread was tagged onto another thread I PM'd him again to tell him to start a new thread in this forum - and suddenly the new thread was in the forum

I thought I was seeing things - now I know I'm not going mad - at least I don't think so :D

steam

4. jtrofimczuk

Hiya, thanks again for sorting out the new thread !! makes life easier i agree.

Ive done a series of diagnostics but no joy yet, heres what ive found:-

- Taken out the hard drive and put in old one (same problem, doesn't boot) so i guess this rules out the bad cluster.

- I taken out theb battery and tested it, it seems to be fine, my volt meter shows its ok, im not to sure how to go about sorting out the jumpers near the battery (what will the momentary short do?)
    Does it matter how long you leave out the battery if you are replacing it?

- Ive checked the RAM, taken them out individually but no joy, same problem doesnt boot, and no beeps like before. Drive cables appear ok.

- Ive taken out the individual cards on the IDE slots, these dont appear to change anything, so i know they are working ok.

If its a case of a bad Power supply how do i go about checking this apart from taking it out? i mean if the Fans work ok, and the computer power LED light up (green and amber)then surely there power going into the computer via the mains and if it worked fine for months previously then how could this be the possible cause? IM THINKING OF TAKING OUT THE POWER SUPPLY anbd buying a new one so help on this would be appreciated!!

How do i go about diagnostics to identify if its the CPU or Motherboard?

What kind of beeps should i be looking out for during booting? at the moment i dont even get any Beeps during power on.

I know theres a lot of questions here, your help and expertise if much appreciated, ive limited knowledge on computer problems although ive done modules at university on this subject im sure i would be able to fix something simple this seems to be confusing me as i cant even get past the Black screen.

jason

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A battery test with a voltmeter doesn't always yeild reliable results since the battery is not usually tested under load. However if the reading is near 3v it is probably good. It's hard to say how long to leave it out to force a reload, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Usually there will be a set of jumpers near the battery that say something like reset cmos -- but you may need a motherboard manual to identify it exactly. Can you locate the motherboard model number? In this picture the jumper is located a little distance from the battery, but on the same side:

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

When you use the jumpers, you change the shorting cap position, try to boot the computer, shutdown and put the jumper back to its normal setting.

There should be one beep from a "cold" start. This is the Power On Self Test (POST) beep, and the fact that you are not getting it indicates the BIOS (CMOS settings) are not getting initialized.

The best test of whether a problem is power supply related is to substitute a known good one. Do not try testing the suspect one in a good system. Component level voltage measuring is best left to someone who has done it before and knows exactly what they are looking at.

6. jatzs05

jatzs05

I just recently had the same problem with my pavilion 4540 us
    During the start up of Windows 98 the cpu went.

I opened up the case and found that the cpu fan had been disconnected.
    Talked with a friend of mine and he agreed that in my situation it was the cpu.
    I found a replacement on Pricewatch.com and got it the next day.
    Put in the new cpu and the computer worked.

Hopefully this will give you hope.

Jatzs05

7. jtrofimczuk

Ive tried everything now.

I still get no BIOS (CMOS settings) initialization during power on. I still fustrated!!!

Its now time to start taking pieces out and replacing with new ones.

Im gonna try replacing (in sequential order):-

- the power supply
    - the cpu
    - the motherboard

im not too sure about the power supply, as the fans still work fine, i guess the power supply is ok, do you agree?

what do you think on my proceedure?

jason

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, rather than buy a new power supply right off the bat, if you could just swap one in for a test, perhaps from the system you are using, that would be better.

If you're getting down the point of buying new parts, I would try removing the current cpu and try reseating it. It's a gentle procedure, and you want to be very careful about not bending pins.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice