1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up to black screen and blinking cursor

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by red2002yzfr1, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. red2002yzfr1

red2002yzfr1 Thread Starter

2. Floobles

Floobles

I'm having the same problem, and my system repair disk can't detect my OS.

3. CellarDweller

CellarDweller

This is just a shot in the dark, but I had this problem with Win7 when I first got it, and it was as simple as having a USB stick or an external drive connected to the laptop while it was trying to boot. Sounds crazy, but once I made sure neither of those were connected during bootup I never had the problem again.

4. Floobles

Floobles

Doesn't change anything for me. That's weird though, lol.

5. red2002yzfr1

red2002yzfr1 Thread Starter

I have a work around to boot into the OS.

Once at the black screen with blinking cursor, I power the computer off and then back on again, boots up and goes into the OS. All day long, we can restart, shutdown and no issues. When shut down at end of night, the next morning, same problem - I do the work around.

There are no USB's in, external HD's, etc., I have even unplugged the battery back up USB and speakers. it is just the monitor, key board, mouse.

This does not seem to be an isolated incident, if you search "black screen....blinking.." there are a lot of problems of this kind, however, there does not seem to be a clear way to fix this. I see a lot of what seem "shady" fixes, some I have tried and still have not fixed this.

If you have a solution, please post, otherwise I will have to call HP and for some reason, water boarding sounds more pleasurable.

6. Floobles

Floobles

Doesn't work for me. Trust me, I've shut down and restarted MANY times since this started lol.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice