1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot up woes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gerkinm, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

Hello all, I posted a message last night but could not find it today. Information I got last night on the password protected CMOS was right on and I have passed up that problem. Thanks to all who responded. NOW I have the problem with the "formatted hard drive. The Win 98/98se boot discs that I downloaded from the different sites I saw here last night come back with NTLDR missing, press any key to continue.

When I try to boot off of the CD ROM, I get the option to 1) Boot Win 98 Super Disc from CD-ROM (2) Run Partition Majic from a RAM Drive (3) Boot NTFS DOS Pro from CD-ROM *** OR ***
    Install Win NT 3.5, NT 4.0, Win 2000 Pro Retail, 2000 Pro w/ SP1, w/ SP2, or w/ SP2 AMM.

I have tried almost all of the options and still can not load the OS.

I should mention that I installed a brand new WD hard drive this morning so it not the hard drive.

Any ideas???

2. Hairy

Hairy

what OS are you trying to load?

3. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

Win 98. I did, since the origanl post, get the "right" Win 98 boot disc to start, now I can't seem to type the right command to continue loading the Win 98 OS. Sounds kind of silly, but I have not worked very much with DOS and DOS commands.

Could you talk me through the commands (i.e. A:_______ or C:_____.

One oter thing, it would not recognize the DVD ROM, or give me the option to use CD ROM for set up.....

What to do, what to do.......

4. Hairy

Hairy

boot with the floppy
    choose start with cdrom support
    watch the screen for what letter the floppy has assigned the cdrom
    "whateverTheLetter":setup

5. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

Hairy, this gives me a bad command or file name.

6. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

Hairy, let me update you a little bit.

When I boot up the system, it goes all the way through to the point that it reads and designates the dvd-rom as R:.

I boot off of a win982nd disk, win98se cd-rom. Going all the way through the alphabet, I have A: B: C: and R: drives.

When I type autoexec.bat at the A: it tells me that the MSCD?? is already running, which tells me that it is reading and recognizing the cd-rom, right???

When I type config.sys at any of the prompts, it says bad command or file name.

I am really running out of ideads, and getting frustrated.

7. mtbird

mtbird

Let's start from the beginning......
    Load the floppy and choose "start with CD Rom support". Watch to see what letter you CD drive is assigned. Pop your 98 disk into the drive and at the A: prompt, type in the CD Rom letter. Let's say it's F.
    Should look like this.
    A:> F:
    This will change to the rom drive. Now type in setup. Should look like this.....
    F:> setup

Debe

8. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

Hi, debe

Sorry, when typed, I get bad command or file name.

9. mtbird

mtbird

Try formatting your hard drive again. Boot with the floppy. Choose to start without CD support. At the A: prompt, type in format c:/s. Should look like this.....
    A:> format c:/s
    Once it's done transferring the files, reboot and choose to start with CD support. Follow the directions above again and do the setup command.

Debe

10. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

Debe, went through the entire process and I get the bad command or file name.

11. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

And oh, by the way, it never gave me the option to use cd-rom support. It did however read and recognize a cd-rom.

12. mtbird

mtbird

13. gerkinm

gerkinm Thread Starter

To all that have assisted me in this mess, THANK YOU.

I went to www.netpathway.com, under support, Kramers page, reinstall html, and downloaded another boot disc and it all fell into place. As we speak, the computer in question is .......

**** (sorry) Just got "A fatal exception OE has occured at 0028:C003BDIE in VXD VFAT (01) + 00003DF2"

Does this sound bad? Does to me just by the looks of it.

14. Hairy

Hairy

you're making this way too hard on yourself......got a friend with win98?

make a startup floppy from their add/remove program menu and forget about these "specialized" disks.......if that's what they are

this is NOT suppossed to be a week-long project

15. bandit429

bandit429

Isn't this a used computer that was formatted?? Would the system that was on it before happen to be NT or XP?? Or has someone used any NT software? If the awnser is yes then your creating the whole problem by installing 98 without running fdisk. You can't install 98 on a NTFS you have to run fdisk, and if your seeing partition magic it may be difficult if you are not the one who used that program.

Try a normal 98 floppy bootdisk and at the A:\> type in fdisk and hit enter,,enable large disk support if asked and choose the options you need to view the partition..what is the complete information on that page?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice