1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot-up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by adt048, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Hi I'm having trouble booting up ,i came home and found my screen to be blue so I have to reboot and once i did this the computer will not boot-up it's just a black screen I rebooted a doz. times and it's still black and i don't hear no beeps when i turn it on and i don't see my a: lite go on but after a few seconds I see the green lite go on for the CD-Rom for about a min. and then nothing happens it stays black ,I don't know why to do can someone help me ?
    Thanks Tony

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Tony have you tried taking the case off and reseating the cables and cards?

Also can you get a BIOS screen? Do you ever see any info displayed, such as what key to press to enter Setup?

If it's an older system you might want to replace the cmos battery on the motherboard. It can also help to use the shorting jumper usually found next to it to reset the cmos. Just change the position for few seconds.

3. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Hi Rog
    Thanks for the reply ,no I can't get to the cmos there's nothing on the screen it's just all black and it's only three years old acer 300mhz Pen. like i said just my CD-Rom lite is the only thing that goes on that I can see and there is no beeps when I turn it on,I don't think it's reading my a: or C: drive I don't see no lites ,I need help

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi adt048

Sounds to me like your power supply unit has died - do as Rog says and take the cover off, check for loose connections and make sure everything is seated ok

Make sure the power is off when you do this - and touch the case to discharge any static before touching anything

Then wait for another opinion from someone in this forum

steam

5. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Hi
    well I tried just about everything I unpluged all connection and re booted but everything is still the same the screen is all black ,the power lite does go on (yellow) and then 30 sec. later the lite on my CD-Rom goes on (Green) and then goes out,the computer is running but the screen is black,could this be a Motherboard problem? Please someone Help, Thanks Tony

6. weeniebeenie

weeniebeenie

Is your monitor light green?

If it's orange your graphics are the likely culprit.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It could be either the power supply or a bad motherboard. Does the fan come on and get up to speed right away? Does it appear to slow down when the drive kicks in?

You could try swapping in the power supply from another system to test. But don't do it the other way around (test a suspected bad one on a good system)

8. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Hi Rog
    yes the fan does come up to speed and it stays there ,I tried and switch the power from my another computer with the one that's giving me trouble and all is fine the old computer goes on ,does this mean I need a Motherboard ? Tony

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You mean it works with a known good power supply? Then your motherboard is fine, it's the old power supply that's shot.

10. steamwiz

steamwiz

I presume it's the new computer you are having trouble with ?

This sounds like you took the suspect power supply from your new computer and put it in your old computer - and the old computer worked ok

If this is right, then you are lucky the power supply was ok , or you could have damaged your old computer

This means it is not the power supply but the motherboard you need to look at

As Rollin' Rog and I both read your answer differently - you need to clarify exactly what you did

steam

11. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Morning Rog & Steam
    Ok here's what I did , I took the power suppy from my computer that is giving me trouble and installed it in my good computer and it does work fine,.like I said my power lite does go on and my CD-Rom lite does go on but I don't hear no beeps when I restart and the screen is black ,so now what do i do now .Thanks Tony

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, well that was the reverse of the test procedure I wanted you to run. It's not really a good idea to take a suspected bad power supply and put it in a good system. If the power supply is really bad it could have damaged the good system.

But yes, at this point it sounds like there is nothing left but the motherboard.

If you haven't removed and reseated the ram, you might as well try that.

You could try gently removing and reseating the cpu itself. Do make sure all power is off and your hands have been grounded before handling it. And be very careful about not bending the pins. This is kind of a last resort test. I'd also tell you to remove and reseat the cmos - rom chip if I knew how to tell you to find it.

The cpu chip would be under the heat sink.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice