1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boot woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DonCroozione, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonCroozione

DonCroozione Thread Starter

Hello:

I have a PC that will not boot from the hard drive. I also cannot boot from the floppy. I have replaced the floppy with one I know is good and still can't boot. What should I do now?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Don, can you be a bit more specific and tell us what happens when you try booting to either the hard drive or the floppy disk?

Error messages?

3. DonCroozione

Nothing happens. If the floppy light stayed on, I would know the cable was backwards, but its not. I get no error messages at all. It simply stops in the boot process. The memory test completes, then it just halts. Reboot and it does the same. Now I'm stuck. Help me out. If you can. I get no system board beeps to let me know of any potential boot sequence errors, either.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Take out all the other cards except the video card and try to boot. One of the peripherals might be holding the boot process up. Had a lady at work with the same problem....took out her modem and....BEEP...came back to life. Thunderstorm fried her modem. If my first suggestion doesn't work, see if you can find a substitute video card. If the substitute video card does not help pop out the memory and see if you get any post code beeps. If still nothing I would suspect the motherboard or CPU as having gone bad.

5. ~Candy~

Do you know what key to press to enter your bios setup.

How many hard drives do you have? Have you been inside the case doing anything lately? Are you sure the hard drive is jumpered correctly?

6. DonCroozione

ok...thanksfr all the help....I took out everything, swapped video card, boot w/ memory & no memory, etc....everything you suggested....I type F2 to enter CMOS setup, but it does not respond....I have not been inside the case ever until the last 3 days, after this problem started....the hard drive is jumpered as master, per mfg documentation....one things sticks in my mind, it halts just before recognizing the keyboard....should I suspect the KB contoller? because I swapped the KB for a known good one and same result....sighhh....it may be motherboard time

7. ~Candy~

You 'type' F 2 or press F 2?

From my experiences, if the keyboard isn't responding, you should get some beeps, and also from my experiences, if the motherboard is shot, you aren't going to get ram count (of couse, I could be wrong, but this is what I've found).

Have you tried taking the cpu out, and reseating it? Also, check the power supply connections to the motherboard.

Also, try disconnecting the keyboard completely to see if it'll beep.

8. Rockn

Rockn

You should also get post code beeps if the memory has been taken out. Was that the case?

9. ~Candy~

Good point Rockn --- It seems to me it should beep like crazy...another thing, try starting it without the video card.....that must get some reaction?????

---- rockn, the internal speaker doesn't need to be attached for the audible beeps, does it?

EDIT --- yikes, just answered my own question.....speaker needs to be connected to the motherboard, otherwise you won't hear any beeps....but you should at least get a keyboard error displayed.......

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice