1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot won't complete. System hangs after starting Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdennis, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdennis

cdennis Thread Starter

I installed a second SATA HD on my daughters PC and added 2GB of DDR2 memory after updating the GeForce 7200 video drivers. The system runs fine with dual monitors on my test bench but will not complete boot with the same configuration at her house. POST is very slow and then hangs after "Windows is Starting" message is displayed. Screen goes blank and no further activity.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If it was working fine and all you have done is move it, the first thing to check is that all cables etc. are firmly and correctly seated (although I would probably expect it to fail boot earlier than starting windows in that instance).

3. cdennis

cdennis Thread Starter

Thanks Tanis. I have re-seated and swapped cables. Brought the system back to my test bench and again it runs fine. I wll take a reading of the line voltage at the two different sites. I suspect the power supply is marginal and I will disable some devices to see if it will boot with lesser power required.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice