1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boot XP from a drive other than C

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Big_Al, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Big_Al

Big_Al Thread Starter

Hi

Is it possible to boot XP from a drive other than C?

What I want to do is to have a second hard drive with a mirror image of my C drive and I would like to be able to boot from this drive if I should ever encounter problems with my C drive.

Thanks in advance.

Big Al

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Here's your answer ;)

3. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Yeah, just add a 2nd HDD (make sure your main drive is set to master and the secondry drive as slave if they are on the same cable). Boot the system from your first drive. When on the desktop right click on my computer and go to properties, then advanced, then Startup and Recovery and edit the startup options file. (BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO CHANGE ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH). 1PL27CB001124
    See link to editing the Boot.ini file http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Example

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Where 'default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS' is displayed, this means your PC will boot from Hard Drive 0 (Primary) and partition 1 - It will boot from partition 1.

If you have installed your cloned HDD as a slave on the same cable all you would need to do is to copy the 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect' bit but change the (0)'s to (1)'s. This means your system will now see the other HDD as a boot drive and will give you the option to boot from partition 1 on that drive.

After saying all that you could just Software Mirror the HDD's from within windows. This option will give you a mirrored drive so as the files on the main drive change so will the files on the secondry drive.

Hopr this helps

4. padutch

padutch

Al , I run my PC exactly the way you want yours . The first thing was to get Paragon Hard Disk Manager for free and the key for it at http://kb.paragon-software.com/parag...roduct_id=3124
    Next attach the second harddrive , I usually set the jumpers as cable sellect . Here is what your boot.ini should be changed to

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode XP" /safeboot:network /sos /bootlog
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode XP" /safeboot:network /sos /bootlog

be careful sometimes WINDOWS is called something different . Like WINNT . Make sure it maches what you have in your boot.ini now

as you can see I added safe mode to the boot choice but you don't need to .
    Now copy your HD to the new one using Paragone.
    any problems just ask
    Dutch

5. bbearren

bbearren

Install your second hard drive, use Windows to format it with the same format you are currently using (probably NTFS), make a drive image of your current C drive, then restore that image to your second hard drive.

Or visit my home page and click on Parallel Installation.

What you are describing is a bootable full system backup. Bear in mind that you will have to keep it current (backup the full system routinely) or you'll lose any files that were created since the last full system backup.

Click on Partitioning Options on my home page for some other ideas on backup regimen.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice