1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootable ISO not working on new formatted drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by 1mccormick, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1mccormick

1mccormick Thread Starter

I have about 10 tablets (Motion Computing M1400s) at my office that use 2.5 IDE/ATA drives running Windows XP Pro. Several of my units needed larger hard drives so I purchased a bunch of wiped 80GB drives. I created an ISO of my existing drive using DriveImage XML and found something odd happening occassionally:

If I re-image a drive that already had an OS on it then everything works perfectly and the tablet loads up windows without a problem; however, if I re-image a drive that has been wiped clean and needs to be formatted then the image files transfer but the drive doesn't boot...

When I get a drive that is wiped I do a slow simple volume format first NTFS - no multiple partitions or anything like that. Once the drive is formatted and recognized by my computer I then launch DriveImage XML, select Restore Image, select the same Windows ISO that worked on drives that aren't wiped, install the image, put the drive into a tablet and go to bios to make sure everything is recognized properly, but then when I restart the computer it doesn't recognize the hard drive as containing system information to boot.

The same files are there on either a drive that works or doesn't the only difference is if the drive was wiped and needed to be formatted before re-imaging the drive vs. just re-imaging a drive that has proper format already in place and/or has files that I'm re-imaging over anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!