1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bootable MS Office

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jackson6612, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackson6612

jackson6612 Thread Starter

Hi

One of my friends is a teacher and he wants to have a bootable MS Office (or, some other application which could the same job) to test his students; MS Word would be used the most. That bootable Office could be on some disc media or installed on the hard disk with bootable option at the star up of the system. This way his students won't have access to any other software application. If this is not possible, then could you please recommend any alternative? Thanks a lot.

2. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

MS Office is just a productivity suite and not an OS by itself. This means that you cannot boot MS Office.

I believe you are looking to have the computers to open MS Word and nothing else. You can do this by changing the policies in your system. But, if you are a novice user I recommend you get professional help for this situation.

3. jackson6612

jackson6612 Thread Starter

Thanks, Gouthaman. But I have used a bunch of software application which could be used without OS running - e.g. Acronis True Image Home and Acronis Disk Director. Suppose, I suppose there should be way to use some word processing application in the same manner which could boot itself without the need of OS.

Best wishes
    Jackson

4. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

You can Google Windows Kiosk Mode or you could (I think) use Bart's PE to run Windows from a USB with only the desired app installed. Running Windows from a USB won't totally preclude users from running other apps, but it'll make it more difficult which might be sufficient.

And no application can run without an OS. What you have is some apps that include an OS on their bootable CD.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    There is a very limited number of applications that have that capacity, and they all have it for a very good, very particular reason. The most common reason is that the running OS and programs would otherwise get in the way of the program. For example an OS will, to allow itself to run, prevent access to certain areas of the disk. A running virus will attempt to block an AV. Therefore there are bootable imaging programs to take the disk image before the OS loads and bootable AVs to run their scans before the viruses can run. However there is no need for such functionality with Office programs. The simple answer therefore is no.

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  7. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I'm not sure about removing IE, but you should be able to disable Internet access which, IMO, makes it moot whether or not the user can run IE. Most other programs you should be able to remove. But no matter how you do it, I suspect it won't be easy. At least not with Word. If you can get an old DOS word processor (or maybe something in Linux? I don't have experience with Linux so I'm not sure about that) then it'd be easier. Since DOS is single-tasking you can loop the batch file so when the user exits the program it'll restart it. Not foolproof, of course, and I don't know offhand where you could get that old a program, but it's a thought.

8. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Linux might be a bit easier than DOS, at least it is still in active development. It can run OpenOffice.org Writer or Abiword among others. It is more permissive that Windows in what it allows you to do, so I would expect that you could remove anything you don't want them touching including firefox. Unfortunately I don't personally know how one would go about writing the modified version to a Live CD.
    I would still encourage looking into parental controls as a first option if you have Vista or 7.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976958

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice