1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootable NVMe...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lethlman, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lethlman

lethlman Thread Starter

I have an Asus Rampage V Edition 10, it has an NVMe slot but im getting conflicting info on what exactly is supported on this slot. Im trying to get info on whether I can use it to boot windows 10 from and take advantage of all that speed.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 79 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 24483 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (185 GB Free); F: 2794 GB (1231 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The storage ports on that board apart from the normal SATA ports are
    1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2260/2280/22110 storage devices support ( Supports PCIE SSDs only)*4

1 x U.2 port, support PCIe 3.0 x4 NVM Express storage*4
    https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/specifications/

If you then look at your manual for the board page 1-2 shows the board layout and page 1-3 identifies the sockets
    On page 1-2 = 17 and 19 are the M2 socket and the U2 port

In respect of the actual devices please see the device compatibility report for the board
    Version -2016/06/08 update 2.25 MBytes
    RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 Devices Report.
    on the Asus site for your board

You do not have to choose one on the list and it is dated 2016 - but those devices have been tested by Asus
    2.3. M.2 SSD Type

Model
    PCIe

LITEON LGT-128B1P-2280 128GB (For AHCI mode)
    LITEON LJT-128B1P-2260 128GB (For AHCI mode)

HYPERX PREDATOR SSD 240GB

SANDISK SD6PP4M 128GB (For AHCI mode)
    SANDISK SD6PP4M 256GB (For AHCI mode)

SAMSUNG MZ-HPU128T/004 (XP941) (For AHCI mode)
    SAMSUNG-MZ-HPU512T/000 (XP941) (For AHCI mode)
    SAMSUNG-MZ-HPV2560-256GB (SM951) (For AHCI mode)
    SAMSUNG-MZ-HPV5120-512GB (SM951) (For AHCI mode)
    SAMSUNG-MZ-VPV1280-128GB (SM951) (For AHCI mode)
    SAMSUNG-MZ-VPV1280-128GB (SM951) (For NVMe mode)
    SAMSUNG-MZ-VPV2560-256GB (SM951) (For NVMe mode)
    SAMSUNG-MZ-VKV512-512GB (950 PRO) (For NVMe mode)

2.4. PCIE SSD Type
    for u.2 PORT
    Model

PCIE
    ASUS RAIDR EXPRESS 240G
    Intel DC 750 Series 400GB
    OCZ REVODRIVE350 480GB
    Plextor M6e 128GB

For the M2 socket AND that is the one you want to use - this will do you very well

https://www.ebuyer.com/766048-samsu...MI1qzngvyG3QIVqr3tCh0hSQ08EAQYBCABEgIAJ_D_BwE

The 2280 refers to the size 22mm wide 80mm long

To avoid confusion in case you are not aware M2 refers to the form factor
    M2 form factor
    NVME simply means - Non Volatile Memory Express and is used for the M2 PCIE

THE IMPORTANT point for you is the interface in other words the connection of the card
    SATA
    or
    PCIe
    and yours is PCIE

So to try and ensure you have the idea clear in your mind
    http://www.liteonssd.com/m/Products/product.php?item_id=2502
    SATA
    and
    http://www.liteonssd.com/m/Products/product.php?item_id=2511
    NVME PCIE

but both are M2 form factor the SATA being size 2280 and the PCIE being 22110
    which is 22mm by 110mm

Here is another choice for you
    https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Unfor.../force-series-mp500-config/p/CSSD-F240GBMP500
    240GB

and here is Asus explanation of all I have posted to try and ensure you have the idea clear in your mind and know which type you need
    https://rog.asus.com/articles/hands-on/easy-guide-to-ssds-sata-msata-m-2-and-u-2/

Finally this may help you
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...xtreme-M-2-Setup-And-Windows-Installation-FAQ

CAUTION
    Please be aware that you may not notice any fantastic increase in speed as far as booting and loading windows is concerned.
    REAL benefits of these PCIE NVME M2 drives and their speed is for transfer of large amounts of data -
    • Gamers will benefit from faster loading times, exceptional performance and a more enjoyable gaming experience
    • Power-users, content editors, graphic designers and general multi-taskers will all benefit from an ultra-responsive system and super-fast boot
    • Improved video workflow when used in: Digital film recording, live broadcast, video editing, colour correction and visual effects
    https://www.integralmemory.com/product/m2-2280-pcie-nvme-ssd

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just some things to consider;
    1 There are different types of M.2 drives. Some only have the same speed as a normal ssd however the nvme type drives have very high speeds. I use a samsung nvme drive in my ryzen system and it boots win10 in 5 seconds after the motherboard finishes POST. So depending on what drive you install, you may see great performance OR you may not see any difference over a normal ssd
    2 Both M.2 slots on your board share bandwidth with one of your pci-e slots so you lose the use of that slot
    3 If you install windows on a M.2 drive, be sure ALL other hard disks are disconnected during setup. If you fail to do this, you end up with the boot files on one of the other drives. Win10 setup does not seem to like to install boot files to a M.2 unless it has no other choice
    4 Prior to installing the drive and installing the operating system, I would be sure and update to the latest bios. I checked the support page for your board and it does not show any updates that specifically address M.2 drives however older chipsets like the x99, do not always have full support for more modern hardware
    5 If your drive mfg has a driver for nvme [samsung has this] be sure and install the driver after you get windows up and running. I see quite an improvement in read/write speeds with the samsung driver installed over the MS driver

As for which drive, get either an intel or samsung; both of those are just about bulletproof. Other M.2 drives often run very hot. I installed a corsair force drive for someone and the thing runs at 65~70C [He would not listen and the corsair was cheaper than a samsung of the same size]

Just my opinion however attempting to use modern hardware in older systems is often waste of time/money. While the x99 chipset does support booting from M.2 drives, intel has a list of things that have to be done. This tells me that the chipset does not really have full support of modern M.2 drives. Up to you if you want to install the drive however it may not go as smoothly as with a modern intel z370 board or an AMD x470 board.

4. Macboatmaster

The M2 slot for this board requires an M2 drive with PCIE interface
    I will stand corrected but I thought the board had ONLY ONE M2 socket and the other is the U2 originally known as the SFF-8639 - small form factor

They share bandwidth as you say but with the
    PCIEx8_4 slot., as
    explained on the first link I sent in my post

I agree with your view of the M2 and the changes to be made, when installing windows are explained on the link I sent

IMHO a waste of money, be it the X99 chipset or the very latest, for the average home user, especially in the belief that it will be so much faster
    5 seconds or 8 like mine with a standard SATA SSD
    Personal choice of course, but 3 seconds difference , I would be really :sick:

I really do think that these drives are designed for quite different purposes than some minor improvement in the speed Windows loads.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

On systems that are actually designed to use the nvme type drives, the difference is very noticeable. In fact when using a system with a regular ssd, I get mad that it is so slow to boot :D:D
    The difference is not quite as much as going from a spin type drive to a regular ssd however I would not build a system for my own personal use without using a nvme type drive. As with a ssd, once you use one, there really is no going back.
    These drives are not for everyone since the cost per gig of storage is a lot more than a standard ssd however it is nice to have programs load instantly, browser opens as fast as I can click, etc.

I agree that with old hardware it is often a waste of time/money to use a nvme type drive.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a good example of what I am saying. Drive 0 is a nvme samsung 960 and Drive 2 is a samsung 850. Using the samsung utility, you can see the 960 is more than four times faster in write and about eight times faster in read. These times are about the same as the difference between a spin type drive and a standard ssd...
    This gives incredible performance in program opening, boot, etc.

Attached Files:

7. Macboatmaster

lethlman

If you do return to your topic - you have a wealth of information
    Any questions please ask

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice