1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootable Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tropix, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tropix

tropix Thread Starter

Hey there guys.....
    I recently had a HD crash and had to install a new HD. Its a 350 Gig WD into a ASUS laptop.
    On the origional disk I had a cleverly protected partition with the origional factory setup of VISTA on it. Should anything go wrong with the VISTA operating system then this bootable partition would come into play and do a clean install.
    I also had the option of pressing F9 during booting to allow me to reinstall to factory std.
    I would like to be able to have a similar setup with my new HD and Windows 7.
    I have googled and found many options but nothing the way I want it. Most options explain the use of the recovery partition once wndows is loaded. I the recovery partition to run from a boot if F9 is pressed. This is the way it was and I would like to have it the same with my new setup.
    I will appreciate any assistance with this at all.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Yes that setup is OK but as you have found out that when the HD goes faulty so does the backup.....you best way is to use a program like Acronis TrueImage and make a Clone of the drive and either put it on DVDs or another HD.

3. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

As Megabite has stated, you should use an external HDD for your backups and image files. That is the safest method. However, Acronis True Image does offer the option of creating what they refer to as "Acronis Secure Zone". It will give you the option of pressing a specific key while booting the computer to enter into a recovery situation. It is a hidden partition that can only be accessed through Acronis True Image. This would give you something similar to what you are requesting. It won't do you any good though if the HDD goes south, so does the "Secure Zone".

4. tropix

tropix Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies people.
    I have read these comments about it does you no good if the HD crashes and that is true if you need it to recover. In the time Ive had this laptop with the origional drive in it I have recovered not less than 6 times with it for different reasons. Obviously one reason is viruses, another is unwanted software that tends to linger, one is for system performance, and another is for re installng software that has limited use. Although if the HD crashes it is useless but in the meantime it is extremely valuable and time saving for travellers who dont want to carry a wad of disks around the world with them.
    All that said and done I have looked at "Acronis Secure Zone" and it does seem to be what I am after although a little complicated from the Youtube I watched. Thanks again.

Thank you both again for your help

Note : I only want this for my OS and apps....not my data which is backed up on various other Ext. Drives.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice