1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootable USB DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crcook84, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I've recently run into some problems with my DVD-writer and plan on buying a new, external one. It's going to be an external one because I've discovered that my dad was also having problems with his internal one as far as NERO was concerned and an external one was the only way he could get things done. My question has to do with boot-ability. Because my internal DVD drive was on the fritz, I couldn't perform a complete install of Windows. I used my dad's external drive to complete the install. As such, should I make sure that the literature about any one external DVD writer specifically states that it allows the computer to boot from it or is it safe to assume that most external DVD writers are automatically manufactured to work like that?

This is of particular concern to me because a number of external DVD drives are capable of being powered from the USB port.

2. sonexpc

sonexpc

This is not depends on External DVD is base on the BIOS of the motherboard ... depends on wheather the BIOS support boot from USB Device.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice