1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootable virtual operating system at start-up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by colcar07, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colcar07

colcar07 Thread Starter

First of all I want to say that I hope I haven’t posted this in the wrong section *fingers Cross* :p

I wanted to know what is the best way to install a bootable virtual operating system at start-up?

I have installed VM Workstation 8 and wanted it to load windows 7 or XP at the Start-up like when you turn on the computer it loads/boots automatically in to the virtual OS.

So I was wondering what would be the best way to approach this?

The reason I want to do this is that so i can set up the OS and take a snap shot of the machine and when my brother breaks his computer again i just restore the snapshot of the machine. His a complete IT illiterate.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Have you considered the option of just making an image of the hard disk for backup purposes? That would be almost as easy to restore to, and wouldn't give you the performance hit associated with running in a permanent virtual machine.

I certainly don't think that a normal full blown OS would be great at this, you can get virtualization systems that are their own OS and I'm sure would make this possible, but I think they're more for servers or fancier computers than the ones we'd run at home.

The only thing I can think of is making a shortcut as per this
    http://ihaveapc.com/2011/07/how-to-...e-workstation-7-virtual-machine-in-windows-7/
    And sticking it into the startup folder.

3. colcar07

colcar07 Thread Starter

I have but he always loses the image when i burn them in to a DVD, or somehow manages to format the external drives o_O.....

I just wanted to teach him to simply click or type few commands to just restore the OS. Because i won't be there for him as im leaving to go to university. And there is so much you can do with remote assistant/ support.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Your idea sort of defeats itself.
    You need an OS running to restore a virtual machine and If you have one to restore it, you don't need it. If you see what I mean.

Just go to college. I suspect he will very quickly learn not to destroy the OS when you are not there to repair it for him.
    It is amazing how quickly he will miss not having it there.
    I suspect some of the losing is deliberate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!