1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootcfg /Rebuild Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SeaTan, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaTan

SeaTan Thread Starter

When I start up my computer an error comes up saying the HAL.DLL file is missing. I have searched this problem and it seems to be a corrupt BOOT.INI file. The main solution I found is to change the attributes on the Recovery Console (Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini), then delete the file (Del C:\Boot.ini) and finally use the command of BootCfg /Rebuild. When I try this I encounter a number of problems. When changing the attributes, I get the message 'The paramater is not valid' or 'The system cannot find the file or directory specified'. I used the DIR C: command to show me the list of files in the C: directory, but only 5 files came up (bootex.log, found.000, ntdetect.com, ntldr, System Volume Information). The same response of 'No matching files were found' comes up to the command to Del C:\Boot.ini. Finally, when I try BootCfg /Rebuild, I get the following response: 'Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent BootCfg from successfully scanning. Use Chkdsk to detect any errors'. I ran a Chkdsk command as well as a Chkdsk /r command, and everything seems fine. Any solutions to these problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You should be seeing these items as well (directories in Red):
    Documents and Settings
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    Program Files
    RECYCLER
    Windows

When you start recovery console, does it ask you to choose a windows installatin to log into, or just present you with a C:\ prompt?
    How large is the found.000 item, and is it a file or directory (directories have the letter d in the first position in the attributes column)?
    This is data that chkdsk recovered, and indicates there was some problem with the disk. With the main windows folder missing is would seem it was a big problem.
    If found.000 is a folder (not common), the missing folders may be inside, but recovery console won't give you access. The drive would have to be installed into another PC, either internally or using an external enclosure.

You may have to connect this drive to another PC and use recovery software to recover your data.

Free recovery applications (search the forum for recovery applications and you'll find links to many others:

1 - Recover Files
    2 - Recuva
    3 - Restoration
    4 - Free Undelete (NTFS only)
    5 - Softperfect File Recovery
    6 - Undelete Plus
    7 - PCI File Recovery
    8 - DriveRescue (direct download link)
    9 - Ultimate Data Recovery
    10 - Disk Investigator

Jerry

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

found.000 indicates chkdsk ran and corrected errors. Those "missing" files could be accounted for in found.000 which is why you are not seeing the boot.ini.

Time for a repair reinstall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice