Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Booting Dell Inspiron - Logo Flashes, then Off (nothing)

861 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
This is the Dell Inspiron 17r-5737. Other than replacing the HDD with an SSD, it is (or was) original. It was
working fine except that the Left touchpad button was no longer working. Attaching a mouse was the workaround.

Time to fix and decided to replace the Palmrest/Touchpad assembly with a new one. After replacing, it no longer boots. BUT! It isn't dead....

Here's what happens:
  1. Press Power. The fan makes noise (spinning normally), then Dell Logo flashes for a split second, then off.
  2. Press Power and tap F2 - BIOS Setup comes on (ver. A12) - and I have F9 default then F10 save. Upon exit, the Logo flashes and then Off.
  3. Press Power and tap F12 - Boot Options appear. as UEFI, select Windows Boot Manager (choose the SSD) and then hit Enter. Off.
  4. Press Power and tap D. Logo appears with progress bar, but then Off.
  5. Press & hold both Power and Fn key. Nothing.
HELP!

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
James,

Very much appreciate your suggestion.

I did follow your suggestion. But that didn't work; no difference.

I decided to go a bit further. I took off the new palmrest and put the old one back on. It booted normally.

So, I put the new one back on. This time, it booted normally! :p Now, I had tried reseating both the power & touchpad cables before I took the new one off, but that didn't work. Deus ex machina. :unsure:

In any case, I will power down, disconnect AC, and fully set the palmrest and everything else currently not screwed down and try again. Will follow up with you after.

Robert

#5 ·
In any case, I will power down, disconnect AC, and fully set the palmrest and everything else currently not screwed down and try again. Will follow up with you after.
Ugh :mad:. All put back together and then it's back to that behavior I mentioned at the beginning here. What gives? Some sort of short? It let's me interact with BIOS? :unsure: Any ideas?

BTW - Allan, thanks for pointing that out. I already utilized the manual and only disassembled what was necessary - I don't have any screws left over and all cables connected nice & snug. It is VERY helpful to have these service manuals, although some don't really describe how to deal properly with the plastic clips & fastening methods (esp. HP).

IN any case, I am really :eek: confused why buttoning up this Inspiron causes it to ~almost completely, but NOT completely~ stop working!

HELP!
Robert

#7 ·
I decided to disassemble one part at a time and test-boot until it actually booted. Note that the keyboard is attached but not clipped in place.
  1. battery out; fail
  2. Optical drive removed; fail
  3. bottom panel door (for RAM, 2.5" drive); fail
  4. removed 1 screw near RAM; fail
  5. removed 2nd screw near RAM; booted
  6. put optical drive back; booted
  7. put 2nd screw back; booted
  8. put 1st screw back; booted
  9. reattached bottom panel door; booted
  10. battery in; booted
  11. keyboard clipped in place; booted
  12. rebooted and went F12 into Boot options - Diagnostics - all tests passed
:unsure::cautious: I guess I'm going to cross my fingers that whatever was causing it not to boot will go back to whatever rock from which it crawled out.

Thanks for the input! BTW, if there are any ideas about this STRANGE behavior, I'd love to hear.

Robert

#8 ·
As the old saying goes - If it ain't broke (anymore) don't fix it !

It could be a dodgy Ram stick/socket connection and messing with the screws somehow made it connect properly, just a guess though.

Hopefully it will continue to work ok now. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.