1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting from a partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SirSpeedy40, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SirSpeedy40

SirSpeedy40 Thread Starter

Hello, I recently made a seperate partition on my HD (C), let's call it F.
    I wanted to load up windows xp onto that small parition, F, so as to see if it would allow me to operate better, as I have a gaming laptop that seems to be suffering from a memory hog svchost(I, of course, thought it would be easier to work around the problem instead of fixing it). Anyway, now that I've booted up to the F partition and working in XP, I find that I dislike it, I also can't figure out how to connect to the internet.
    My issue is, I can't figure out how to boot to the C, my Windows 7, the original OS. I'm not given an option upon startup and I can't find anything in my BIOS that is obviously pertaining to my issue. Hope I didn't just brick my laptop or something. Thanks for your time.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

In Option Two follow the instructions from number 7. This will get you back to being able to dual boot either OS. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Under XP look in Device Manager and you will probably find a yellow warning symbol next to the Network Adapters. You will need to download the missing drivers on another PC then transfer them with a Thumb drive or CD to install them.

3. SirSpeedy40

I'm honestly not interested at all in the Windows XP, is there any way for me just to get like, a bios restore point or something that'll put me back far enough so I never partitioned, I never installed XP, etc? Or am I going to have to do all that, get to 7, then get rid of it? Thanks for your help thus far.

4. SirSpeedy40

I get this when trying to install EasyBCD 2.1.2: "EasyBCD has attempted to download and install Microsoft. NET 2.0 SP2 Framkework, but was unable to obtain an internet connection." Click retry to ave EasyBCD attempt the download once more, or click Cancel to abort setup and install the framework yourself manually."
    I've installed 2.0 stuff and everything; however, it still does not recognize it's there. I didn't do the XP drivers thing, that's my next question I'm not sure what to do exactly.
    Looking at my device manager I have a slew of question marks on everything that is under "other devices":
    -Audio Device on HD Audio Bus
    -Audio Device on HD Audio Bus
    -Base System Device
    -Base System Device
    -Base System Device
    -Base System Device
    -Base System Device
    -Base System Device
    -Intel Centrino Advanced N+ WiMax 6250
    -Network Controller
    -PCI Simple Communications Controller
    -SM Bus Controller
    -Unknown Device
    -Video Controller(VGA Compatible)

Nothing else appears to be awry.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have recovery disks?

If not, you probably lost access to your ability to recover when you made any changes to the partitions. You replaced the MBR with one that does not have a recovery option.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, as I said you will have to download the Network drivers for XP to get an internet connection or you cannot download the required software.

Lets try another approach to get Windows 7 to boot and then you can delete the XP partition. Follow this:

1.Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
    2.Press a key when you are prompted.
    3.Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    4.Click Repair your computer.
    5.Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7.Type these commands exactly as written with spaces before the / and hit Enter after each line has been typed.
    Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    Press ENTER after each command.
    8.Restart your computer.
    That should do the trick! However if you still can't start Windows, then follow step 1 to 6 again and type this command.
    Bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
    Press ENTER and restart your computer.

7. SirSpeedy40

Pretty sure I don't. Could I burn an iso of the Windows 8 beta, install it over the XP partition and then switch boots from that? It seems like the 8 beta comes with a way to switch or something. But that was from brief reading. At this point I'm even fine with wiping my computer if it means saving it and getting back to a functional OS (preferable Seven :U)
    I bought my laptop with seven on it, and I wasn't given a Windows 7 CD.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just don't do anything that might damage the recovery partition.

Follow Mark1956's directions. We don't want to be following 2 roads here. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else.

9. SirSpeedy40

Well, I can't follow his directions, as I don't have a copy of Windows 7 installation, it didn't come with my laptop when I bought it. It's an Asus g73 series that i got from Best Buy.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Can you borrow a Windows 7 CD? Do you know someone or do you have another PC with Windows 7 as this will allow you to make a rescue disk to get to the recovery console.

Failing that you only have the option of installing the drivers for the Network adapter and then installing the Net Framework and EasyBCD. You could still download and transfer these using another PC.

11. SirSpeedy40

I was already starting to ask people about Windows 7 CDs, actually, so you think I should do that, then? I'd be able to get a Windows 8 Beta quicker, do you think I should try that in the interim?

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

You can try Windows 8 but as the name suggests it is still in Beta so will be prone to bugs. Windows 7 is far more reliable if you want a trouble free OS.

If you can borrow a Windows 7 CD you should soon be out of trouble. Or, any PC with Windows 7 installed will do as there is a built in facility to create a rescue disc that will do the same job. You can make one by following this:

Go to Control Panel and select Backup and Restore. In the left hand pane select Create a System Recovery disc and follow the prompts.

13. SirSpeedy40

I can get my girlfriend to come over tomorrow and she can bring her laptop.
    But if I try the 8 beta tonight and a bu occurs, I'll just be able to do the same thing with the windows seven restore cd, right? Meaning I can try and fix it that way, and then if it doesn't work I can have her bring her stuff over tomorrow.

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would not attempt a repair with the Windows 8 CD or try to install it, it is a new OS still in Beta and I have no idea what it will do. As pointed out by Elvandil you should not do anything that might damage the Recovery partition.

There is still another option to run the Recovery Partition to set it back to Factory condition but that will erase all installed software and your documents that are on the Windows 7 partition. Using a repair disc you will able to fix the boot manager so that Windows 7 will boot again as per my earlier instructions. Then we may be able to tackle your original problems.

15. SirSpeedy40

Excuse me for misunderstanding, I just want to make sure I'm clear on what's going on: So if I get a recovery disk using my girlfriend's computer, I'll lose all of my files, right? And at the moment, that's my only option, right?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice