Booting from a USB pendrive on PhoenixBIOS 4.0 release 6

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Trinexx

Doesn't seem to be working, as I'm sure some of you can gather from the fact that I'm here. I would just flash the BIOS with an update, but given the age of this dinosaur, I'm fairly sure that my BIOS is a ROM chip.

Anyways, I was wondering if there is a way to "soft boot" into a USB key. For example... booting into a floppy which redirects into the usb key.

I really should quit using my computers as guinea pigs for my questionable experiments.

bearone2

Banned
if booting to usb isn't an option, cd, hd, floppy, you won't boot to the device.

bearone2

Banned
if usb isn't a boot option in bios, flashing the bios won't make it boot to the device.

Trinexx

Ok, what about my other question? Could a program like osloader boot into the drive?

Trinexx

Alright, guess not. Thanks for the help, nice to know that it wouldn't have done me any good to try and update my BIOS :)

(saves me the risk of hacking it up and killing my computer)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, if the new version of the BIOS added USB booting, it may well solve the problem. You'd have to read the version history of the BIOS to see if this was added.

bearone2

Banned
it could work, i doubt it though, he did say this was a "dinosaur", probably with a pci/usb card.

i tried the pci/usb shuffle with 98se years ago and it wasn't reliable.
the mb had the plugin but really wasn't up to the task and this mb is probably from the same era.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree that it's likely not to solve the issue, just noting that BIOS updates sometimes do add new features. :)

Trinexx

>_> Is it possible to softboot into a USB pendrive with a floppy or not?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online