1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

booting from bios win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by garyduel, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Hello
    I am trying to install WIN98 onto my laptop (acer aspire one 8g sshd 512mhz ram) I have gone into BIOS to do it but the laptop says it cant find the start up files...I have tried to go through the prompt technique but not being super conversant with cmd's i am not sure if i am putting "Y" or "N" to the correct questions, does anyone know if this is an acer thing or more than likely me, and can anyone think od a sure fire solution to this....

I appreciate any insight in advance

Thanks

Gary

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows 98 isn't going to have drivers for any of the hardware.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Gary:

You haven't advised which version of Windows is currently in that laptop, and why you're wanting to install Windows 98.

As DoubleHelix already said, there may not be drivers for the hardware(display adapter, sound device, network adapter, etc.) in that laptop. Without drivers, the hardware won't work.

To install Windows 98, you need a fully-bootable startup floppy disk, a full version Windows 98 CD, and a functioning floppy drive and CDROM drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

I have an ACER Aspire One it comew with Linpus Lite a Linux OS.
    Which is not my choosing but acer are selling this laptop SSHD (which is what i need for my work) with this OS. Obviously coming from windows which users a GUI and going to a CL is one thing but to then have to have compatability issues whith this new Linux OS over established Linux OS' thats just the icing on the cake for me.
    I want to play a low spec game on the laptop which is why i was trying to load Windows 98 as i dont need all the network cards etc just the basic so i can play the game, i have sorted out a variety of issues by reading forums all over the net on this Linpus system but as its new alot of linux users dont know it so cant help...I am not by any means the sort of guy who should even be playing with CL type computers but as i am floating on a vessel off Vietnam had no choice, My laptop has 8gig SSHD and 512MHz Ram do you think if i got hold of XP or Vista this system could run it successfully????
    Again thanks to people wgho have responded and to anyone else who does

gary

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since there are netbooks available that ship with Windows XP already installed, why did you get a Linux box? Windows XP might be a tight squeeze. Vista isn't going to work at all.

6. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Thanks doublehelix
    My employment is as above i work at pressures 20 times higher than normal atmosphere, when actually not on the sea floor working i am living at the same pressure in a steel chamber on a heliox gas mixture, i therefore require a hard drive that doesnt spin(ergo solid state) as the pressure locks it up at about an extra 5 meters over ambient.
    I didnt do a fantastic amount of reseach before i was deployed on this job and grabbed a brand new laptop off the shelf not realising in this day and age that there would be compatability issues to the degree that i have had(ie Mac and windows are now basically a walk in the park for compatible programs). I assumed Linux would be the same, silly me!!!!!! Anyway thank you for the advice now i just need to track down someone out here with an xp cd and i might be away...........maybe!!!!!!!

Thanks again doublehelix very appreciated
    gary

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

In addition to a Windows XP installation CD (one that hasn't been used with another system), you'll also need to download drivers for all the hardware.

8. mrss

mrss Guest

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice