1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting from burned Windows CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kenneth2k1, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1 Thread Starter

Now before you guys start thinking this is a pirated copy of Windows, trust me, it's not. My company has a bunch of enterprise versions of software on their apps server that I downloaded it from. The license is legit. I downloaded and want to install Windows 2003 Server.

However, when I download it, it's in a folder. I opened the folder and copied the other folders and files and burned a disk with it. When I pop the disk in a machine, it brings up the windows splash screen with the options to upgrade the current version of windows and check for compatibility etc, etc. But if I throw the disk in a machine to boot from it to do a fresh install, it won't boot from the CD. What do I need to include on the disk to make it boot from it?

Thanks.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well first thing is the boot disk you are making with it has to be bootable and if it is not then no way is it going to boot. There should be a file on the server that you downloaded this from that will tell you how to make a bootable disk. If there is not then what ever burner program you are using should have a help file that will tell you the steps to do this. Or you can search Google for this and follow the instructions, I would try to explain it to you but the diffeence in programs means different steps.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A real image of Windows should be bootable with no extra steps required.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Companies usually use their own image with an Enterprise license. I'm curious as to why this one wants to burn boot disks. It's also odd that you're asking how to install Windows with an Enterprise license on an Internet forum. Why aren't you talking with your account manager from Microsoft?

5. JohnWill

Good point... :)

6. Soundy

Soundy

Hmm, I thought I'd typed this already, but might not have hit the Post button....

Your license is likely only valid *within the company*. Unless you're installing this onto an in-house, company-owned system, you're probably violating the license terms.

The corporate IT guys probably use a network boot disk, or even a PXE boot server (boots from the network adapter's BIOS in the install machine), to initiate installations from the file server, hence there's just the install files, not a full CD image.

7. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1 Thread Starter

This would make sense. The machine is a company-owned system, used only at our local office. As far as I can tell, unless the company itself obtained this version illegally, I am not violating any license terms. I am asking this question on these forums because I've gotten good advice in the past here, and none of the admins in NJ are returning my phone calls.

Thanks anyways.

8. sideburnsid

sideburnsid

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use the same directions for creating a bootable CD as you would to burn a bootable slipstreamed XP CD. The downloadable boot image is linked in the directions. Or you can extract the boot image from a botable XP or other Windows CD with ISO Buster, UltraISO, or Bart's Boot Image Extractor (You can safely ignore the file types of these images; img, bin, doesn't matter).

Use the directions in Step 5.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

10. Soundy

Soundy

You're probably legal then. Seems to me, the last place I worked that we had a volume license for Windows and Office, employees were also permitted under the license to install that copy of Office at home... with the proviso, of course, that if they ever left the company, it be uninstalled.

Again, it's something you'd have to look up in the terms of your company's SPECIFIC license. With W2K3 Server, there may be even stricter limitations on how many licenses may be installed and in use at any one time, even with a corporate volume license.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Microsoft vendor or MSCE or in any way privy to the many variations there may be to Windows licenses. To be SURE of what the license covers, ask your own IT guys (which doesn't appear to be working), or try contacting Microsoft.

11. JohnWill

I'm sure server licenses are stricter than stuff like Office. :)

12. jmwills

jmwills

Easy enough to tell what is working if you can get you hands on an ISO editing program such as WinISO. That will tell you if the image is bootable or not. The problem probably lies is the fact that you just copied the files to a disk instead of creating an ISO image of those files.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

It wouldn't make any difference to the end result if an iso was used. The CD would still contain only the files unless the boot image was added or included in the iso.

14. jmwills

jmwills

The point I was trying to make is that you just can not copy a bootbale disc and expect the copy to be bootable.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

A copy of a bootable disk would always be bootable, too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice