1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

booting from external usb cd-rom/DVD-rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raz, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raz

raz Thread Starter

Hi Guys..

Need your help again....been scratching my head for the past 2 weeks, sadly had to admit defeat and come cap in hand here for some help.

I have a busted laptop cd-rom and need to reinstall windows from a cd. i have an external usb dv-rw/cd-rom but am unable to boot into it from dos. what is the best way to go about this.

i have an old toshiba F10 qosimo laptop and an Liteon/phillips dvdrw and somehow need to boot into the cdrom to reinstall windows....suggestions will be appreciated. it won boot into usb mode automatically from bios menu.

Already tried....tried to created usb boot floopy (with external drive) ...no avail, perhaps some one has already made one?

i even went as far as to remove the HDD, build it on another machine, sysprep it and transfer it back to original machine...no luck

Help please...i am now desperate

Thanks
    Raz

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the laptop does not support booting from a usb device, you could pull the hd and connect it to the system you are using now. Format the drive as fat32 and do a sys: X from a win9x boot disk where X is the lappy drive. Now copy the i386 folder from your xp/win2k disk to the drive. You will also need a copy of smartdrv.exe to put on the drive. Note if you need smart drive, I can send you a copy.

Reinstall the drive into the lappy. Pw ON the system. At the > type smartdrv.exe. Once that is done, change to the i386 folder and type winnt.exe and setup will start.

4. raz

raz Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!