Booting from factory (DELL) disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tevbev

I did a System Restore after cleaning some Temp files from my hard drive. Apparently I removed something that shouldn't have been removed. The System Restore took an unusually long time to complete. I left it while I ate dinner and when I came back it apparently had completed the restore, rebooted, and was at the USER selection page. When I selected my name and clicked on it, I got the following message:
HEADING = Explorer.EXE - Unable to locate component.
Body = This application failed to start because BROWSEUI.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this.

I did a back-up before doing the System Restore, but my back-up file is on a USB hard drive which is now not accessible because the system won't let me boot, even to the point of getting the systems tray and Start button accessible.

I am running WindowsXP on a Dell Dimension 8400. The OS was factory loaded. The computer loads normally up to the point where you select the user to sign on. Once the selection is made, the above message appears, and nothing else is accessible. The START button and the task bar either are not being loaded, or are not accessible with either the mouse or the keyboard. Wallpaper (background) is normal, after it is timed in. Apparently the Operating System is still relatively intact.

If I put the DELL-supplied installation disk in the hard drive tray and reboot, will it give me the option to select the action I want to take, (like it does with a WindowsXP disk) or will it just assume that a reinstall is called for and start wiping the hard drive? And, if it will let me elect to install only a component, will it accept an earlier version than the one presently installed?

Thanks for any help that might follow.

TEVBEV

Have you tried doing cntrl+alt+delete? If you can do this and get the task manager go to applications then new task. In new task type explorer.exe which will give you back your desktop.

tevbev

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion, and the entry was rejected. All I can accomplish from Task Manager is to log a user off, and do a shutdown procedure. My Windows appears to be intact except for the "User" configuration aspect of it. I get the message that Explorer.exe cannot open because the Browseui.dll file cannot be found. I am not clear on the function of the 'Explorer.exe' file. Is it a part of Internet Explorer, or associated with "Explore" on the START button? If I could find find out how to bypass the USER page, and somehow reach the start button, I might try another System Restore . DELL isn't much help. I believe TSG help is more effective. Thanks again for the info.
TEVBEV

I have the exact same problem with my XP and my brand new (4 mos old) Dell. Bu I do not have a Dell factory disk. Where do you get one? Was anyone able to tell you how to solve your problem? Because you have even described the problem I have. Even to the error msg get.
Now what do we do?

tevbev

Hi Sharfoster:

I came across an article (or notation) in my search which noted that Dell computers produced after a certain date, (which I believe it was August, 2004) would not include a Recovery Disk. As I recall, you could order one from DELL. I don't recall if there was a charge applicable, but I there probably was. I didn't really read it closely since I already had a disk with mine. I bought my Dimension in September, 2004, so it must have been produced before the cutoff date.

If you have the same problem I have, I don't think the recovery disk will do any good unless you do a full reinstall, in which case it will reformat the hard drive. (At least that is what I have learned from my research applied by my limited knowledge.

I was finally able to get to Windows Task Manager, where I tried to load some other programs. None would load, and I got different messages each time. The bottom line is that apparently I have destroyed my dll file somehow. I was trying to find a way to run System Restore so I could try another date to try and restore. No luck.

I got a reply from Triple6 suggesting that I try to load and run "SFC /SCANNOW", but it also, gave me a missing dll message.

My next attempt will be to see if anyone can direct me to a way to find and recover my dll files.

In the meantime, If I run across anything I will definitely post it. Good luck in finding a solution.

TEVBEV

Dear TevBev,
Thank you so much for replying to my dilema and it is apparently the same one you have. This Dell is new, purchased in Sept 05. I guess they didn't fix the dll problems or we would have success.
I have been saving the comments I receive on what solutions may be helpful. So far, nothing has worked for me either. My computer went out Thursday of last week. When did yours die?
If I hear of anything that would help us, I will contact you thru the forums.
Sharfoster

tevbev

Sharfoster:
Triple6 had referenced some Microsoft support documents you might want to look at. They are: (as I have copied them from the email I received):
Try System Restore: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449&sd=tech

Or bring up Task Manager and click File -> New Run and try "SFC /SCANNOW" without the quotations.

You might have better luck than I had with them. I looked at several additional referenced Knowlege Base articles , but unless I am not performing them correctly, they haven't helped me.

Keep trying.

TEBVEV

RT

tevbev said:
If I put the DELL-supplied installation disk in the hard drive tray and reboot, will it give me the option to select the action I want to take, (like it does with a WindowsXP disk) or will it just assume that a reinstall is called for and start wiping the hard drive? And, if it will let me elect to install only a component, will it accept an earlier version than the one presently installed?
TEVBEV
To answer this question, the Dell CD is pretty much Windows XP, and yes if you boot from it you will be given options and not just start an automatic re-installation. A reinstall requires specific input from you.

One of the options given is a repair of the current install of Windows, which I would seriously consider if I were in your shoes. (And Sharfoster, you can try this too, if you wish.) A Repair will not mess with your installed software or personal settings (or so it is said, but Windows can be a quirky bird at times :rolleyes: ).

Full instructions for repairing Windows can be found HERE.

If you choose to try this and it is successful, be aware that you will need to immediately go to Windows Update and get all the critical fixes before going anywhere else on the Internet!

Also remember that you might have to change the device boot order in BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM.

RT

Sharfoster:

Ooops! I forgot you don't have a disk, when I said you could try repair as well! :eek:

I would suggest that you make a seperate new thread for your problem in the Windows XP forum.

RT I don't know how to make a new thread for my questions with my dll.problems. I don't have the original factory reboot disk either since my computer was shipped without one (4 mos old). I don't know what to do but I will continue to try things in Safe Mode function. Earlier I did manage to get to some icons but nothing I tried gave me a screen to work with. Just program lists and you cannot find the system restore to undo it or go on to something else. Big mess. Thanks.

RT

You can start a new thread by clicking HERE which should take you to the Windows forum. Then at the top of the listed topics click the New Thread tab, give it a meaningful title and describe your problem.

And hope for the best. There are some very knowledgeable folks there that might not see your problem in this forum (All Other Software). They might have some ideas that can help you. Feel free to reference this thread if you wish.

Unfortunately, you will be unable to try the repair feature without the disk.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online