1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting from SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobroosth, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

I have four physical drives in this system. Until last month, I was booting from a drive with three partitions, C:, D:, X:, where C: contains Windows 7 Pro; the others are data. The other physical drives are also data (not bootable). I added an SSD and cloned C: onto that drive with Acronis Trueimage. In order to get it to boot, I had to add an entry to the BCD on what should now be the old c: and keep that as the boot drive in my BIOS.

I'd really like to NOT be reliant on that spinning drive to boot, so I found EasyBCD. Booted from the SSD, I told EasyBCD to designate c: as the boot drive.

When I tell the BIOS to boot from the SSD, I get a Disk Read Error. So I go back to booting from the spinning drive.

Suggestions.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Did you set the SSD drive as the Active Boot drive in Acronis? And remove Active from the other spin drive? Did you change the drive letter from the spin drive?

3. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

Two partitions are marked Active: the SSD and System Reserved (on the original spinning disk). I don';t see any way to mark System Reserved as Not Active. I have to use the BIOS settings to choose which drive is used for booting. When I swtich to the SSD I get the Disk Read Error.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    System Reserved being the small (~100 MB) partition with the Master Boot Record? And you did not clone it to the SSD?

If both answers are 'yes' you can probably repair that (put a MBR on the SSD Windows partition) with the Windows installation DVD or, I think, with EasyBCD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice