1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting Linux ERROR 25

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by R. Lynn, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Lynn

R. Lynn Thread Starter

When I boot my system before I get to the boot option, I get Error 25: DISK READ ERROR. When I hit return it goes to the boot option screen. The system may then recycle through the start as a reboot or it may go on and load Linux. It may recycle two or three times before it will continue to load Linux.

2. codejockey

codejockey

Error 25 is the famous ENOTTY -- "not a typewriter" error (really, I kid you not! :)). What it means is that an inappropriate I/O command has been issued for a device (for example, attempting to seek backwards on a device that only supports forward sequential access). In your case, it sounds like your disk may have some problems, and the error 25 is reporting a failed I/O attempt. You might review /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages for any additional information that could give a clue to the problem. It also wouldn't hurt to run fsck on your Linux filesystems to discover any problems lurking there (you can use fsck -n filesystem-name to display errors without correcting any). Finally, consider making a full backup as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice