1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

booting problem - blinking _

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whitelove, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whitelove

whitelove Thread Starter

OK so here is the deal. THis computer was booting fine and loading in windows. THe problem it had was it was too slow with all the spyware and i decided to give it a format. Windows 98 is the operating system.
    The pc is a pentium 3 and was working fine until i cleared the cmos. Now after it loads teh ram, finds primary and secondarary devices instead of going to the next step the screen gets stuck on a black screen with a blinking "_" at the top. From then on the keybaord doesn't work anymore, cause i try rebooting usingt he control alt del, but in vain. Also the f8 key doesn't work.
    What i tried is i removed the hdd and tried to boot from it on another pc, and it worked fine, I also had another cpu and i exchnaged it with the one on this pc to see if the cpu was the problem and still the same problem. I kinda know the prob is with the settings in the bios but i don't know what i should set. I would normally keep a copy of the setting but this time i didn't. So what i did was set the date and and the rest of the settings i loaded the defaults. But still i get a blank screen with a _ at the top. Normally i would set the cpu speed and the voltage. The prob is i tried all the cpu speed but it made no differnce ,a and i have't found the option for the voltage. Any suggestions? cause i'm basically just lost!

2. dai

dai

boot from the bootdisk and at the promn't try
    scanreg /restore

3. whitelove

whitelove Thread Starter

doesn't arrive to that point. I've selected it the booting device sequence and everything but it doesn't arrive to the point where it starts loading from hdd floppy or win98 cd cause i tried them all. I just stops after deteting the devices. All i can do is press the Del to go into the setup

4. dai

dai

have gone into the bios and set the floppy as first boot
    does the floppy and cd lights flash as normal when booting

5. whitelove

whitelove Thread Starter

yes i changed the boot sequence in the bios. They both light up both the floppy and the cd, but it then just stops. I even tried inserting a differnt floppt, and as far as i know it';s supposed to say system boot failure, abort retry or failure.. or soemthing of that sort... and not event hat id does respond to. I just get a black blank screen with a blinking _ at the top

6. natcom

natcom

: make sure your video card is sitting properly on the Mobo do you hear any beeps ?

7. whitelove

whitelove Thread Starter

yes yes video card is correctly attached and i do hear one beep.. the normal short one i mean .... it does that job.. graphics work cause i can see the detials on the screen, the ram loads cause it gives me the info, then i get the primamry master and slave which i have attached and then it stops.

8. natcom

natcom

take out the slave drive and try to boot only with the master IDE channel take out anything on IDE2

9. whitelove

whitelove Thread Starter

i took out the ide2 channel but still just goes next to the black blank screen with _

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice