1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

booting problem has changed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hansmax, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I'm trying to install a hard drive in my old computer. Computer is a 450 MHZ P2, 128 Megs of RAM, built locally about 6 years ago. I had a Fujitsu 10 GB HDD in it, and decided to replace it with a 40 GB Seagate from my newer computer. The old system was working. I swapped the drives, set the Seagate to Master and booted. Gave me a hdd detection problem message on the boot screen. Went into setup, Primary master was set to User, with some figures that didn't look like my drive, and LBA. Finally set it to Auto/LBA and the boot screen tells me that it is detecting the hard drive, but freezes there. Same thing when I set the drive to cable select. The question is where do I go from here. The drive should be OK, because I had just reformatted the drive to FAT 32 on my other machine with Partition Magic five minutes prior to installing it. Everything went well there. And the old drive works fine when hooked up. (I would like to use them both, but am not going to worry about that at this point.) Any help would be appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The newer drive may need a new 80 conductor 40 pin cable would be a guess I would make. I would tend to believe that the 10 gig hard drive is an ATA33 drive as are possibly the IDE controllers. Yet the 40 gig drive is probably ATA66 or higher. It will work on an ATA33 controller just fine but you need to use the cable I described.

3. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Now the problem has changed again. I checked around, found that the far right jumper sets a limit of 32 GB on the hdd. I tried that and the computer booted with a Win98 bootdisk and install CD. However, when I try to install, it tells me..."either your computer does not have a hard drive, or you need drivers for the hard drive etc. etc. contact your vendor" What gives?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually, your computer specs will allow you to run Win XP. You could try installing Win XP on that and see if it still gives you troubles. I am presently running XP on an old Compaq with a 300Mhz K6-2 and 96Mb ram and a 2 gig hard drive. (Just to see if I could and using it as a back up while waiting for the return of my laptop)

5. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

That's a thought, but then I'm looking at $90 for an OEM version of WinXP. Maybe a motherboard/cpu upgrade would be in order as long as I'm spending money. Thanks for the input. I'm also wondering if a BIOS flash would help. I don't have much to loose.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice