Booting Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DesperateMan

I have this booting problem on my Hp Pavilion Media Center m8425f PC and it has windows 7 on it and i was using it perfectly fine on that day, then during that day at night i had to carry it down stairs.
When it was plugged in and everything was normal, so I started it up and it made a abnormal starting sound and then it starts up normally for a little bit then it goes to a black screen and says something along the lines insert a booting device and reboot your computer, or if you have a booting device activate it and press any key (in white)

Its making Doing Doing Doing sounds every so often. and the sound is coming from the hard drive.

I would try re seating all the connections from the Hard drive and the Motherboard....as something may have come loose moving it.

DesperateMan

The connections between the Hard Drive and the Motherboard are all in place i tried pushing the cables deeper just in case it was loose, it looks like but it doesn't go in any deeper please help :(

I found this picture which may help you to identify the motherboard and the hard drive. The hard drive may be mounted in a slightly different position but will be close to the picture shown.

Switch off the PC and disconnect from the mains, touch a good earth source, a central heating pipe for example, with your hands to discharge any static electricity. Then remove the side panel.

The hard drive will have two cables connected to it, pull them off and reseat them to make sure they are firmly connected. One of the cables will go to the motherboard, pull that connector off the motherboard and reseat it, you need not worry about the other cable as that will go back into the power supply, but if it has other connections coming off it check the connectors are firmly in place..

Now try to boot the PC and tell us what happens.

Attachments

I saw your original posts where you asked what a hard drive and a motherboard looked like.

Not to be condesending, I suggest that if you have data on the hard drive that needs to be saved, you shut the machine off and take it to a repair shop where the data may be saved at a reasonable cost.

If you continue to operate the machine the hard drive may be further damaged. Although the data could still be recovered by a specialty recovery company the cost would be many times more.

You completely changed you second post while I was piecing together some kind of guide to help you out.

If all the connections are ok then your hard drive, as Win2kpro has suggested is probably failing/failed. You may be able to retrieve the data by using this boot disc Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

Then run the manufacturer's diagnostics, follow this instruction.

You will obviously need another working PC to make both of these discs.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.
When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.
In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.
Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.
Excelstore
Hitachi/IBM
Samsung
Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum
Western Digital
Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

DesperateMan

Well i dont need to backup data on the computer, since i don't have much but does this mean i have to get a new hard drive?
And plus i have a second computer that's a bit smaller than my computer, could i just take that hard drive and insert it onto other computer and if i cant can you tell me how much a hard drive costs?

It would appear highly likely that your hard drive has failed but you need to run the manufacturer's diagnostics to confirm it. Some faults can be misleading so it would be best to check.

You can use a hard drive from another PC but you will have to reinstall the operating system and all the drivers. The hard drive from the other PC can't just be put into the faulty machine and expected to work as it will have the wrong drivers installed on it. Some basic computer knowledge would be required to delete all the old drivers and reinstall the correct ones, so best to start from scratch. Do you have a Microsoft Windows disc with a licence key that has not been used on another PC? Or do you have Recovery discs for the faulty machine? Does the faulty machine have a licence sticker on it?

Tell us what you have and we will help you through it. Please state the make and model number of the PC and the version of Windows.

DesperateMan

I checked my hard drive on my other computer and it has different plugs than my computer so i figured i can't do that anyways, but could you please explain how i run the manufacturers diagnostics. I use a SeaGate Hard Drive and i'm running on windows 7 and i don't have any recovery disks or a windows 7 key so im kind of stumped in that direction.
Thanks for the all the support!

You can get adapters for the hard drive connections, any computer store should have them.

The instructions to run the diagnostics are all explained in my guide in post 6. On the Seagate site you need to look for Seatools and get the version for CD. Only run the test on the drive do not use any off the other features as it has options to wipe the drive which you do not want to do.

As the computer was supplied without (assuming you had it from new) any Recovery discs it will have a Recovery partition on the hard drive. If the drive is not too badly damaged it might be possible to clone the Recovery partition onto another hard drive and then re-install the operating system from it, otherwise you will need a copy of Windows. We won't know how bad the hard drive is until you run the diagnostics.

Your PC should have a sticker on it (unless it has been removed) with the Windows version and the licence key printed on it. If you can't find it and the hard drive is unusable then you are going to have to get a new copy of Windows, unless you can purchase recovery discs from HP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online