Booting problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jamme

When I went in to delete unnecessary files I must have deleted a file I shouldn't have because at boot up it tells me i'm missing a file in Symantec
how do I get that file back without having to reinstall? its says its in the System.INI? :confused:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What version of Windows are you using?

What files did you delete, and from where?

The exact text of the error message would be helpful.

Your sys.ini is pointing to a file that no longer exists. Can you go into sysedit/sys.ini and copy/paste the text for us to look at please? It might be just as easy for you to install the Symantec applicaion. Is it NAV? or NSW? This guessing is so much fun!

Jamme

Sorry took a buisness trip,

here is what it says when I'm booting up this is with a black screen--

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling the application to replace missing file

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\Symevnt.386

Ok now when I go to "RUN" and put the C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\Symevnt.386 in, it says the "libraries are missing?????????

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK.

Click Edit - Find, type in Symevnt.386, then click Find Next. Once you find the entry, right-click it, then click Delete - Yes. Repeat it until no more entries are found.

Close the registry editor, then reboot.

See if that gets rid of the error message.

Jamme

I have done what you asked and it's still there.

What's bad about Symantec Norton?

Jamme

forget my last entry it worked. I tried it again and it worked thanks Flavallee, but still whats wrong with Symantec Norton?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It's very intrusive, it's a memory hog, and it's well-known for generating error messages and causing other problems. :mad: (n)

I'm glad to hear my suggestion worked. :) (y)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've been using Computer Associates ETrust EZ Antivirus for about 3 years. The current version is ETrust EZ Antivirus 2005(7.0.6.7).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online