1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KevAtUSC, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevAtUSC

KevAtUSC Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is a Windows XP problem or what. About two months ago, when I turned on or restarted my desktop it started doing something weird. In between the "Dell" screen (where you can hit F2 to get to the BIOS) and the "Windows" screen, I get this blinking underscore on a black screen. It usually takes about five-ten minutes to go boot up Windows. But it isn't slow once it starts Windows.

It started while I was having problems with it running slow all the time. However, I just reformated the hard drive, and everything is running fine. This is my only problem. Like I said, I just reformatted the HD, so I'm trying to reload all of my programs. Pretty annoying when I have to restart all the time and it takes five-ten minutes.

Anybody have any suggestions?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. KevAtUSC

KevAtUSC Thread Starter

thanks for the link, but none of those seem to be my problem. Windows starts eventually, it just takes quite a while. I don't receive error messages, and my computer still responds.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Did you confirm your CMOS/BIOS settings are correct?

You may have a driver issue an in-place upgrade to repair your installation of Windows XP may be needed. I have seen it fix many problems like your's.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You say you re-installed Windows on your Dell, did you run the drivers disk and install all of the drivers for the computer? If you did not I suggest running this driver disk and installing all of the drivers this might help. The screen with the flashing cursor is because Windows can not find a driver or install the driver(s) during bootup.

6. KevAtUSC

KevAtUSC Thread Starter

I did run the driver's disk as well, and like I said, the problem started before I reloaded Windows and has continued.

I've never changed my BIOS except for just yesterday when I changed the boot order so it would load from the CD-ROM. I changed it back. I know I have never changed any of that stuff, but maybe it changed on its own?

I'm starting to worry it's a hardware problem rather than a software one.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If this problem started before re-installing Windows the question I have is how did you re-install Windows? Did you format the hard drive or re-install over itself?

8. KevAtUSC

KevAtUSC Thread Starter

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

But one little thing, this is a Dell and this might have been different than Dell's procedure. Here is Dell's procedure

Dell - Procedures for Reinstalling or Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!