1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting problems, corrupt system files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimsoccer, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimsoccer

jimsoccer Thread Starter

My friend's computer has been reduced to a paperweight.
    Whenever it starts up it says the following file is missing or corrupt:
    Windows\System32\config\system

I have tried to repair the file, however I can't get anywhere once the computer is turned on. I've tried safe mode, same deal. I have tried hitting r when it boots and the same. I wanted to try to get into the bios to change the boot order to the cdrom first, but i can't get to it.
    esc and f1, f5, f6, f8, f9, and f10 i've tried and nothing allows me to get anywhere i need. My friend even said it was ok to format the drive, but I can't even get there.
    Its a toshiba satellite 5105-s501.
    Any tips. thanks in advance.

2. gurutech

gurutech

I think Toshiba either uses F2 or DEL to get into BIOS.

HTH

3. jimsoccer

jimsoccer Thread Starter

neither worked

4. jimsoccer

jimsoccer Thread Starter

I found how I am suppossed to get to the bios and that is by holding down escape until i get a prompt to hit F1 to get me into the bios, but no luck, is there any way i can get into ms-dos. I made floppy boot disks, but the floppy drive is external. Please help.

5. jimsoccer

jimsoccer Thread Starter

Spoke with toshiba, a problem is that there is a bios password preventing everything I have tried. Does anyone know how to delete a bios password on a laptop that can't boot?

6. rushton

rushton

hi jimsoccer,

Take the battery out of the mother board for about 5 seconds, replace it and your password protection should be gone. It worked for me.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa

i just figured out how to make it boot to cdrom

right after you push the power button. press the right arrow key and it will move the curser on the main screen to the cd boot device..

freaky but cool.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!