1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting problems - hard drive fail and more

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by necrovamp, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Ok, my first question is, has my hard drive crashed.

When I start up, the device info is supposed to say something like:
    "Maxtor 2B020H1" but instead I get
    "Maxtor eph7 hgnk78l"
    note: the odd device name isnt exact, but I could write it down and post it if it helps.

This all happened when I unplugged the ribbon cable from my m/b. -dont ask- lol
    When I plugged it back in I got that message.
    I have confirmed it is the hard drive itself, by trying it in a different computer.

My second problem is, that was my primary master hard drive. I did not have the operating system on that hard drive but, that hard drive contained the xp boot record or ntldr ..something, i dont know much

so Is there a way to restore that boot program/record onto a different hard drive and gain access to my operating system.

Also if it helps I can get into vista too (different hard drive and bootloader so wasnt affected)
    The reason I'm so frustrated is because xp was my main os :((

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

You said your drive is a Maxtor, well these drives are produced by Seagate and you can test it using either Seatools for Windows (if Windows is booting) or Seatools for DOS (An OS independant test for the drive).

Seatools for Windows and for DOS

The condition of your drive, as to whether it is readable at all, will determine your options.

3. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I will try that thnx, i think i can boot into vista, but the computer is always testing the hard drive or something, cause everything goes majorly slow if I leave it in.

4. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Well It failed every test. Long and short self test....long and short generic test.
    Its toast?

And if it is, is there any way I can get into xp again...put in new drive and run xp repair?

5. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Did you do this with the PC powered on??

6. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

No

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/793805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice