1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting problems (windows XP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Missie, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missie

Missie Thread Starter

I posted this in the Windows XP forum and had it suggested that I should ask here as it sounds like a problem with the power supply, so I thought I'd ask and get some more opinions on it.

I just bought a used Dell XPS 400 with the hopes of combining it with my broken XPS 400 to make one reasonably functioning computer, and decided it should be tested out for a while.

The 'new' computer works okay, but it seems to have trouble starting up. The first time I connected everything, it seemed to start up, but nothing would come on the screen. I'd hear the fans and the hard drive and whatever inside of it merrily spinning, but nothing would happen. I can open and close the CD rom when this happens, but the keyboard and mouse do not register at all. It happened again last night when Windows restarted itself to apply updates.

After forcibly shutting it down (holding down the button) and restarting it a couple of times, it starts working. Also, if I actually go to windows and choose 'shut down', it reboots again fine, at least so far.

As I said, it was suggested that it might be a power supply problem, which is kind of what I was hoping it was, as that's a relatively easy fix. I think XPS 400's come with a 375 watt power supply standard, and I think this particular computer was configured with a more powerful graphics and audio card than my original one. Is the power supply struggling to keep up with the components, given that it's a couple years old by now? Should I consider upgrading to a slightly more powerful (450 watt or so) supply? Thanks in advance.

2. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

With the upgraded graphics and sound cards, you may want to go higher that 450w. I would suggest atleast a 650w PSU.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!