1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

booting slowly getting errors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob83, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rob83

rob83 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Im new to the forum and i need help please.

I downloaded a bios update for my motherboard using the software provided from the motherboard manufacturer and since then my pc has went downhill.

It starts to boot normally then it gets to the windows xp loading screen, the blue bar scrolls twice then goes blank and sits dead. About a minute or more later it begins to boot slowly. It takes a while to get to the desktop then load norton anti virus and zone alarm. Then it says there is a hardware error with my modem and i have to replug all my usb devices to use them. Now my graphics card has lost its driver. I coreected the driver and modem problem by reinstalling the drivers. 2 days later it back to a pink and blue screen and saying there is an issue with the modem again.

Can anyone help me please?I belivie it may be a compatability issue with new bios and my 2 year old hdd. THANKS!

Motherboard: Asus A7v8X
    CPU: AMD XP 2000
    RAM: 512 DDR
    Graphics: 128 MB DDR Geforce 4 TI4200
    HHD: SEAGATE ST320410A

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    make sure that you downloaded the right BIOS file, there's a couple of A7V8X(-xxx) motherboards. Also enter the BIOS at boot(press F2 or DEL) and load BIOS or Optimal Defaults, check that the right stuff is enabled - like USB, and that the FSB is set correctly so that the speed of the CPU is correct, then save and Exit.

Then go to the ASUS website and download the latest Motherboard/chipset drivers. Also download the latest Video drivers and modem drivers from the correct sites.

3. rob83

rob83 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info but that was the first thing i tried and it ends up reseting its self some how and now refuses to install the latest video driver.

4. suesman

suesman

So you did or did not download all the newest chipset drivers? Sometimes a BIOS update will require the newest drivers for everything to work correctly. Be nice if they were to mention that huh?

5. zeddy

zeddy

As Triple6 says, ensure that you reset the CMOS (bios) to default before rebooting. Check that you have not changed a particular bios setting - PnP OS installed, if you had yes before, it may be that the bios update put it to no. I prefer keeping mine as no PnP OS installed and let the bios do the IRQ settings.

If it were me I would Take out all my peripheral cards default the bios and reboot. I would then set the CPU and memory frequencies and reboot. Then introduce each card one at a time.

6. rob83

rob83 Thread Starter

Hi,

Ive downloaded the latest bios and chipset i think, well everything on the asus site. Ive got the lastest drivers for graphics and modem.

And the only card i got in my pc is the graphics card. Which is AGP.

Ive now got a display problem as well, it says my card is there but refuse to install and use its drivers. So i cant even play games on it now and refresh raste is really bad.

7. rob83

rob83 Thread Starter

Sorry, I also had to reistall windows media play 9 because it said it wasnt working properly.

8. zeddy

zeddy

It might be time to do a full and fresh reinstallation of your OS.

9. rob83

rob83 Thread Starter

Yeah i got a new hard drive coming on tuesday anyway.

Thanks for the help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice