1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting to SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by langer34, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. langer34

langer34 Thread Starter

I have 3 hd's in my system right now. My boot drive is a 36gig SATA drive. And the other two are IDE. Currently i am using a PCI controller card for the two IDE drives. However, if I try to simply plug the IDE cable directly into the mobo my system will not boot. I have set the boot priority in the BIOS. The PC post's like normal but when the XP boot screen normally shows up i get nothing but a blank screen. Any ideas?

EDIT: I have an ABIT IC7 motherboard. My boot drive is the SATA drive. The other two drives dont have any OS files on them. They are simply connected master and slave through the IDE connection on the MB.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Without specifics about the MB, it's hard to even guess. On the SATA systems I've seen, the proper settings in the BIOS were all that was required.

3. saikee

saikee

Johnwill,

The moon is definitely not full for this one.

Not having played around with IDE PCI card myself could this be a hardware conflict? If the BIOS has given priority to the IDE PCI controller it may be waiting for its signal and confused by the the one hooked to the mobo.

It appears there may be a priority system exercised by the BIOS, similar to someone removing the master to expect the slave drive to boot.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I still think the BIOS settings hold the key to getting this system to boot. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/301427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice