1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting up an emmc laptop from an SSD.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BlueBolt22, Jun 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlueBolt22

BlueBolt22 Thread Starter

So I'm looking for a way to boot up an emmc laptop from an ssd. (Yes the laptop can support an ssd) But I've seen one review online which says you cannot change boot order of the laptop.
    But my main reason to put the ssd in the laptop is to reduce boot time and increase overall perfomance.
    I've seen you can clone an emmc into the ssd. So does this allow the laptop to boot from the ssd? So is there a way to boot it from the ssd through cloning?
    The laptop I'm talking about is called "iBall Merit G9" it's a very cheap laptop but is perfect for the type of work I need it for.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I looked at the manual. It says it can support a SSD. However, it also said not to upgrade the OS, so you must clone the hdd of the unit.

You need 2 USB memory sticks to do this: you can use Macrium Reflect Free to create a drive image and store it on one USB memory stick. Then have the program also create a bootable Rescue USB memory stick. Then replace hdd with SSD, boot the Rescue USB; insert the memory stick holding the image and restore the image onto the SSD.

3. BlueBolt22

BlueBolt22 Thread Starter

But there is no HDD. It's an emmc which is soldered onto the laptop. And don't mind my lack of knowledge. But if I do what you said, does that mean it'll boot from the ssd?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Don't know if for sure it will BOOT from the SSD. The manual only mentions it briefly saying it is supported. Try contacting their support -people: [email protected]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice