1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting with different drivers?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Little Wing, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Little Wing

Little Wing Thread Starter

Is it possible to to boot with a different set of drivers, in this case video, loaded? Would like to have 2 or 3 setups where the only difference is the video drivers being used. Imagine this is a dream, but before I give up on the idea I would like to know for sure. Uninstalling and installing the different sets is not an option. I mean truly different bootings. A "one" person machine, not on a network. I'm a fair hacker--vis-a-vis definition 1!--though nothing special. Not afraid, however.

Thanks for a simple yes or no.

Little Wing

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You can setup multiple Hardware profiles though I never done it. I believe Windows will prompt you at startup for which Hardware profile you want to use if multiple are defined but I'm not 100 percent sure of that. Maybe someone else will come along and know the answer to that for sure.

If it will allow the use of multiple drivers, it would be done by setting up multiple Hardware profiles through the Hardware Profiles tab in Device Manager and <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/9/63.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=hardware%20profiles&rnk=14&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98>this </a> explains how to setup multiple profiles if you want to give it a shot.

3. Little Wing

Bryan, nice idea but that's not what hardware profiles do. That is a rather limited function of Windows. I really believe this is undoable, but... Thanks for such a quick response regardless.

Peace,
    Little Wing

4. Dan O

Dan O

Bryan is correct.

To enable a hardware device:

Goto Device manager open the System Properties dialog box.
    Click the plus sign next to the hardware type, and then double-click the hardware. Under Device status, click Enable Device.

Notes:
    You can also open the System Properties dialog box by clicking Start, pointing to Settings, clicking Control Panel, and then double-clicking System.

To enable a device that was removed from a profile, add the device to the profile by using the Add New Hardware wizard. When the profile is active, start Add New Hardware and follow the instructions on the screen. For more information, click Related Topics.

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

Indeed - it should work perfectly.

Once you have set up more than one profile, and can boot between them, just change the drivers in whichever one you want. The drivers should only change in that profile, not any of the others.

THAT is what profiles are all about - letting you load different drivers at each boot. Most people use this because they are changing hardware (network cards in a laptop or something external) but the concept is the same.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks for confirming that guys. I thought it would work fine.

Little Wing, you seem to be sure that multiple profiles aren't able to do it, if so let us know why. Other than that, give it a try ......

BTW, I hope I didn't confuse the issue by posting that specific MS article. I only posted it to show how to create multiple profiles. Multiple profiles aren't only used to troubleshoot hardware problems.

7. Little Wing

Test, test. Wrote two replies and got time out messages. I'm going to bed but will try this as a test, test! (Sorry guys)

8. Little Wing

Gentlemen, y'all seem to think you know more about Windows than me! (Waterfall of sarcasim!)

OK, problem I see, and maybe I should say I'm using an All-In-Wonder video card--TV, video capture, DVD, etc. Let's say driver set one is called v.1 and the second v.2. There are unique and common files to the different drivers. However, common files from v.2 cannot replace the earlier v.1 ones. (foo.dll version 2 can't be used with foo.dll version 1. Must not overwrite with newer version of a file.)

So if I install v.1 and setup that profile, some v.1 files will be placed in \windows\system. Now I go to v.2. There will now be a second version of foo.dll written to \windows\system, overwritting the v.1 version. Hence v.1's foo.dll will be lost. If I then boot to profile v.1, I will have the wrong version of foo.dll being loaded.

If I understand hardware profiles, this is what would occur. And it wouldn't work then. (I have though of a possible work-a-round for this, but I'll leave that for the moment.)

My understanding of hardware profiles is if I had two different video cards which I wanted to switch between, then fine. However different sets of drivers for the same piece of hardware, not fine. May be greatly confused here. (Am greatly confused in general.)

I do appreciate all the feedback, and would love for this to be a viable solution. And I'm going to cut this message and save on my machine before sending. Don't want another "timed out" message erasing my file.)

Peace,
    Little Wing

9. LarryCore

LarryCore

I'm not positive, but I think the profiles keep different sets of files for the drivers you change. I know different registry files are kept, as are different INI files. I'm just not sure about the DLLs.

Only way to be sure is going to be to try it. As long as you have the drivers you want, you won't hurt anything. Either it will work or it won't. If not, simply delete the second profile after rebooting into the first one.

But I think it is worth a shot - if it overwrites DLLs, so be it. Try booting into both profiles anyway - you will see at boot that it is copying files (from your profile directory into the windows directorty) and maybe the DLLs will be amongst those that get copied.

10. Little Wing

As you said, it's worth a shot. I've also got an idea of working around the overwriting of files, going back to the good-old-days of DOS. Will report on my results.

Little Wing

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice