1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Booting XP from second hard drive Mouse/Keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dommmmm, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dommmmm

dommmmm Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 installed on my new computer, but my firewire audio card and also some software wouldn't work properly with it, so I put my old hard drive with Windows XP installed on it into my new computer.

I can boot up Windows XP from the second hard drive at the bios screen bit, but when it gets to the log in screen, the mouse and keyboard will not respond. I have tried multiple mice and keyboards including the old school style non-USB keyboard. The keyboard works fine to press F12 to get into the boot menu etc but then just stops working completely when XP is loaded. I assume its some kind of driver issue or something like that but I'm pretty useless with computers and I have no idea how I can get my mouse and keyboard to respond in XP :(

Please if anyone knows how let me know, thanks!!

Dominic

2. dommmmm

dommmmm Thread Starter

I was thinking about maybe if I copy and pasted all the drivers from my C: windows folder into the windows folder on my D: drive (old hard drive). Maybe this would let my mouse and keyboard work? I'm a bit worried though it seems like the kind of thing I do that seems like a logical idea but actually screws up my PC :)

3. argentolee

argentolee

Was the old hard drive you mentioned had the WinXP installed on the same computer?
    You can't just unplug a hard drive from one computer to another computer and expect it to work (unless it's of the same hardware spec).
    Copying files from one drive's Windows folder to another drive's Windows folder is not going to help, and actually would get things worst.
    I recommend a fresh install of WinXP on that new PC of yours with the old hard drive you mention.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!