1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

booting xp from usb dell optiplex gx260

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Morena628, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morena628

Morena628 Thread Starter

Hi. So please bear with me as i am barely computer literate and i apologize in advance if this has bern asked and answered I have been stuck for 2 weeks now trying to reinstall windows xp. I have a dell optiplex gx 260. The ha rd drive is a Maxtor 2f040l0. I do not have the original dell setup disk but have created a bootable USB from a iso obtained from a friend who had an original copy of xp. I think I set up bios correctly because my PC boots to the USB just fine. All the files load properly but after it says its starting windows I get an error that says windows stops to prevent damage...if this is the first time seeing this restart the PC....it goes on to suggest running chckdsk/F...then gives the following error codes :
    0x0000007B ( 0xf741524, 0x0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000)
    Can someone please guide me on how to fix this? Once again I'm barely literate on all things PC so if you can be as basic as possible I would be eternally greatful. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise. I really want to get this thing going I plan to donate it to a local shelter here that helps Women and Children escaping domestic violence.. Thanks again for helping support this cause!

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    The issue you're having is that Windows XP MUST be booted from a disk. It cannot be successfully loaded from a USB, because it's not supported on XP. You will need to borrow/copy the actual XP disk and boot from the disk to accomplish your task.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on that 14 - 15 years old Dell OptiPlex GX260 desktop?

What's the exact Windows XP version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?
    Not wishing to offend you, but this is a job for someone who is computer-knowledgeable.

You can get some idea of what you're up against by reading HERE.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Why does it point to drive F? The OS should be installing on drive C not F.
    Are you sure the hard drive is good?

Giving someone a computer running XP isn't really a good idea. If you want the people to be able to surf safely, you should be installing linux. (I would not suggest Windows on a computer from 2002).
    Linux has come a long way with a nice GUI and if the browser is prominently placed on the desktop, it is a safe way to get on the internet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!