1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bootmgr is compresed press ctrl+alt+del to restart

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by XPUser1991, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

i have a dell dimension 8300 with windows vista and windows 7, when i turned it on it said bootmgr is compressed press ctrl+alt+del to restart i've tried running startup repair which says it can't fix the problem and i've tried expanding bootmgr, but upon reboot it just says the same thing, what do i do???

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes Startup Repair seems to partially fix, and the second or third try it succeeds. So if it seemed to do anything try again.

I'm not sure, but if Startup Repair can't fix it I think you need to re-install, recover, or re-image from a backup.

3. XPUser1991

XPUser1991 Thread Starter

i was thinking of possibly hooking up one of my spare hdds and then installing a fresh copy of vista on that, then uncompressing the vista partition and then trying to boot the first hdd, if that's even possible.

4. Lance1

Lance1

Try doing this.

Put the Win 7 in the DVD drive and boot from it.
    Select Repair your Computer, select you OS, check the radio button (Use Recovery Tools)
    Select the Command Prompt and type these commands one at a time in sequence and hit enter.

bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Now type exit and restart.

Hope this helps you out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice