1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BOOTMGR is compressed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sam222999, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam222999

sam222999 Thread Starter

Folks,
    Been through several threads for resolution of 'BOOTMGR is compressed' error.

I understand the solution (one of them) is to use a USB drive to boot.
    The problem is to find the correct BIOS.

The link
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1170826
    provides various files available for download.

Question:- How do I identify which suits for me? ; Now that I cannot even see the system conifg?
    The files are huge and I tried with couple of them.

Just see a prompt to the top left (Instead of any message).

Kindly let me know on next steps to proceed.

Regards,
    Sam

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't think this has anything to do with the BIOS. You may be able to fix this by booting to your System Repair Disk (assuming you made one) or your Installation or Recovery DVD or USB flash drive.

You pick the one that most closely matches your installed operating system. If you tell us what OS you have installed somebody can help with the identification.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with my colleague TerryNet, as indeed is usually the case.
    I think the first question is WHY - by that I mean why is the boot manager compressed
    The usual cause is

BOOTMGR refers to the Boot Manager – an important Windows system file. If it is compressed, it can’t be used. The file must therefore be uncompressed for Windows to be able to boot up.
    Note: file compression used to be a good way to save hard drive space – back in the days when hard drives were only 1 or 2 GBs in size… However, modern drives offer hundreds or thousands of GBs storage so there should be no need to compress files.

There are two likely reasons that it got compressed:

1. The user installed a ‘Speed Booster’ or ‘System Optimizer’ type of program – perhaps one with grand claims of boosting performance and with a super duper registry cleaner thrown in… See ‘do I need a registry cleaner’ – the short answer is No.
    Such a program may have caused the problem by compressing the whole of the system partition (usually the C: drive) to save space – including the crucial BOOTMGR file. This is what happened in my customer’s case.
    Note: file compression (even when done properly) slows down system performance anyway so it is a lousy thing for a ‘speed booster’ utility to do…

2. The user manually compressed the whole of the system partition (via the drive’s Properties window).

So in summary I see the first approach as trying to ascertain why

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

sam222999

It is some three days now since you asked for help and advice
    Would you kindly reply when you get chance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice