"BOOTMGR is missing" but i don't have an option to simply repair startup, help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grumpysaddle

Hi, my computer crashed a couple hours ago out of nowhere and when it restarted itself I got the dreaded "BOOTMGR is missing" message. I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit. I put my Windows recovery disc in and entered the information for language, time and currency, and keyboard input. Then it tries to go directly to installing Windows. I don't have an option for repairing it. I can't afford to reinstall as I have way too much stuff to lose and it would be devastating. There should be an option after that first screen on the lower left so i can repair instead of install. I'm desperate and time is of the essence as I was working on something I need done for tomorrow. I tried to follow the steps here... http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-in.html , but yeah, like i said, it doesn't give me an option to repair after that first screen. Please help, I'm starting to tear out my hair!

grumpysaddle

it says recovery dvd-rom, but this actually isn't the issue now. i downloaded an iso of a recovery disc and burned it. and i now get the option to repair, but so far what i've been trying hasn't worked. trying again now. this has turned into such a ridiculously frustrating day. luckily my brother left his laptop over here or i wouldn't have a clue where to even start.

Wat hasnt worked? did you recieve an error when you were repairing??

We will try our best dont worry.

grumpysaddle

Okay... so I've tried a few times with the recovery disc now. When I go to "Startup Repair" it searches and says it cannot automatically repair it and wants me to send a notice to microsoft. So i tried the second step on that tutorial in the link i mentioned above. I went to the command prompt and typed in "bootrec /fixboot" and it took a second then said it was completed successfully. so i click to restart and take the cd out. it starts to try booting up and goes to a screen saying:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardward or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.
"

I'm gonna cry soon. :/

grumpysaddle

ok... i typed that in and it says this after...

"Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

grumpysaddle

since that doesn't seem to work, I am going to try this method i found on the microsoft site...

"
Method 3: Rebuild the BCD store manually by using the Bcdedit.exe tool

If the previous method does not resolve the problem, you can rebuild the BCD store manually by using the Bcdedit.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:cd /d Partition:\Windows\System32
    Note Partition represents the letter of the partition on which Windows Vista is installed. Typically, this is partition C.
  8. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /enum all
    In the Windows Boot Loader section of the output from this command, note the GUID that is listed for resumeobject. You will use this GUID later.
  9. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d "Description"
    Note Description represents the description for the new entry.
  10. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=Partition:
    Note Partition represents the letter of the partition. Typically, the letter is C.
  11. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /displayorder {GUID}
    Note GUID represents the GUID that you obtained in step 8.
  12. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /default {GUID}
    Note GUID represents the GUID that you obtained in step 8.
  13. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:bcdedit /timeout Value
    Note Value represents the time in seconds before the Windows Boot Manager selects the default entry that you created in step 12.
  14. Restart the computer." hopefully it works. :/

grumpysaddle

ooooooookay. this doesn't work right from the get-go. typing in "cd /d C:\Windows\System32" brings up the message "They system cannot find the path specified.

I wonder if when i had the installation dvd that i got with my computer in the computer if it did something to damage windows further. i didn't allow it to start reinstalling. as soon as i saw that's what it was up to i shut my computer down. i wonder if i can maybe install windows on my my external harddrive and be able to pull off all the super important files from my C drive that way if worst comes to worst. Maybe I should take my computer in to a shop tomorrow? I'm so frustrated right now. This couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online