1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BOOTMGR is missing press Cntrl+Alt+Del to restarn

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Skyllio, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skyllio

Skyllio Thread Starter

Hi, i have a bad problem with my laptop. everytime i start it up it says BOOTMGR is missing press cntrl+alt+del to restarn( yep it says restarn). when i try to put in the asus recovery dvd, it goes into the recovery process but stays at 0%. then a big red ERROR pops up and in the top left corner it shows RETRY: C [err: 0]

Before all this happen the laptop started freezing alot and was getting really slow, and after awhile i couldn't access anything in my computer. Could the hard drive have failed?

i have an ASUS 15.6" G51VX-RX05 2GHZ C2D 4GB VISTA

2. helpful

helpful

Your symptoms point to your hard drive failing, backup up your files imminently.

The easiest ways would be hook up a USB hard drive boot into the recovery enviroment from the Vista Setup DVD.

Then use the xcopy command to copy the files from the suspected drive that is failing to your usb drive. After you files are backed up confirm the diagnosis by running your oem vendors hdd diag utility.

Links to Manufacturers Utilities

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

3. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Follow Instructions to fix your problem: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/

4. helpful

helpful

"Before all this happen the laptop started freezing alot and was getting really slow"

Leads me to believe its more than the boot manager missing. The file is mostly corrupt due the hard drive failing and even fixing that file and booting the system would only be temporary if for some miracle that was the only system file corrupt and the system could boot.

You really need to backup any important information if possible. Perform the hard drive test to determine the hard drive is failing and replace. No amount of software fixes will resolve a failing hard drive and system file corruption and slowness is one of the more troubling signs it is happening.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!