1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootmgr is missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mack73, May 21, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

I have a older model sony vaio laptop and tried to update my operating system from vista to windows 7 without a disc and im getting the error message bootmgr is missing. I was watching Youtube video and was instructed to add a partition. I believe the c drive is no longer being used to start the computer.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you don't have a bootable Windows 7 install disc, how exactly were you trying to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

What's the exact model number of your Sony VAIO?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

The model number is PCG-7113L. I wa watching a YouTube video on how to update without a disc and tried to add a new partition. It was supposed to be a download of windows 7. But there was a version of windows 10 that I tried to install a couple days ago that didn't work, so I selected that file. Now I believe my computer is starting up through the newly created partition that doesnt have the boot file needed instead of the actual c drive and it's not able to use bootmgr.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Look for a number that begins with VGN, then advise us what that number is.
    It may be one of these numbers or may be a different number.
    Capture.JPG
    You appear to be using a non-genuine/pirated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 10.
    Even if you manage to get it installed and working, how do you plan to activate it?

-------------------------------------------------------------

6. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

I don't see any numbers that start with vgn. Where will I find the vgn?

I also did not intend to use pirated software. I was just trying to see if it could be upgraded for free. When I talked with Microsoft a couple of days ago they were trying to help me update vista to windows 10. The tech tried to remotely access the computer but was unsuccessful. I thought it was because my computer has vista. So I tried to get windows 7 and then maybe the tech could access my computer. I believe they gave me a 30 day trial version of windows 10. Thats how I got that download.

7. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

I Found it. VGN-NR260E

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Sony VAIO VGN-NR260E Notebook Computer (support site)

It originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and appears to have come with these hardware specs:
    Intel Pentium T2330 1.60 GHz processor
    2 GB of DDR2-533 RAM (maximum supported amount)
    200 GB SATA hard drive
    DVD+/-RW disc drive
    Intel GMA X3100 graphics
    Realtek high definition audio
    Realtek 10/100 Mbps ethernet
    Atheros 802.11b/g wireless
    Between the very weak processor and only 2 GB of RAM in that laptop, it's going to run Windows 7 like a turtle.
    If Microsoft did give you access to a 30-day trial version of Windows 7, how do you plan to activate it after the trial period runs out and it's no longer functional?

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe, but Windows 7 always has run better (and faster) than Vista.

10. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

It was actually a trail version of Windows 10. But I couldn't get it to work. I tried to upgrade to 7 to make it a easier transition to Windows 10.

I didn't realize upgrading to windows 7 would make my computer slow as a turtle. I was trying to upgrade because I was updating my resume and sent my aunt a copy in an email, but she couldn't open it.

Right now I would be satisfied with getting my computer back working with vista.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Depending on what media you have (installation DVD or Recovery disks) try to 'repair the boot' or to reinstall Vista.

12. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

I have neither. Windows vista was already on it. I do have a product key on the bottom of the laptop.

There is no way to switch back to the c drive to get it working without a disk? I beleieve Bootmg is still on the computer, it wasn't deleted or corrupted. I just set up a partition incorrectly and need to get it back to the right one.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea what you mean by "switch back to the c drive." In Vista and later when Windows boots it assigns "C drive" to the partition containing itself.

If you have, or can borrow, a Vista or later installation DVD you may be able to 'repair the boot.'

You can try to find a set of Recovery DVDs from Sony or a third party.

Using what utility? If you mean that you made the new partition the Active one you could rectify that with a partition manager.

14. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

Partition manager? How do I get it? That may be the solution.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I use GParted. You get it (or any other self-booting one) by downloading the .iso from a web site (such as the one to which I linked). Then create a bootable CD or DVD.

16. Mack73

Mack73 Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I can't try it right now because I can't make the disc. But I hope it works. I will update the forum if it works, to help someone else if they have a similar issue. Thanks for your time and the helpful info. Have a great day.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!