1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bootmgr is missing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alekhya777, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alekhya777

alekhya777 Thread Starter

hi, i tried to dual boot my lenovo think pad laptop. i have win 7 as my existing o.s. I opened disk management and on the d:/ drive i made it into active. and i turned off my laptop. when turned it.. my laptop is keeps on showing "Bootmgr is missing... press ctrl+alt+del to restart.. " message.
    what should i do now?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  3. alekhya777

is there anyway now to change that option

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    So you have 7 already, what did you try to dual boot it with ? Do you have an install DVD or Usb stick for any version of Windows or Linux ?

5. alekhya777

i have windows server 2012 r2 iso file with me in my pendrive. but to install that o.s i need to unzip the iso file. so i again require my laptop to do that. :(

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well you will need a bootable DVD or Usb stick you can use to boot into a Windows install or recovery environment, or a Linux live OS, then you can change the active partition to the System Reserved partition, probably the first one on the hard drive. That should get you back into 7.

Can you get access to another computer ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  7. alekhya777

which software do i require to change active partition into system reserved partition? can i do that by installing win serv 2012 r2?
    i read that we can have only one active partition for 1 hard disk. whats that exactly means?
    while dual booting.. i want to install win ser 2012 in another d: drive. is that possible? if so, can i have 2 active partitions possible?

Thanks in advance

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you can change the active partition if you boot your win serv 2012 install media, you don't have to install it (although you can do that after setting the active partition if you wish).
    You can get to a command prompt in the early part of the install sequence and change the active partition using Diskpart which is a special utility you run from the command prompt.
    Windows 7 usually makes a small partition called System Reserved at the start of the hard drive when it's installed. The SR partition contains the boot up files and it will be the active partition even if you install 2012 as a dual-boot with 7. If you install 2012 you will get a menu to select which you want, 7 or 2012.

The active partition is the one that the system will look at for the boot up files, there can only be one active partition on a hard drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice