1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BOOTMGR is missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Outlaw466, Dec 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Outlaw466

Outlaw466 Thread Starter

Hello,

I was messing around downloading emulators and trying to get an xbox 360 controller to work next thing I know my external harddrive wasn't being recognized. I looked up a fix for it and it suggested i went to my device manager and uninstall all the greyed out options that were hidden. I resetted my computer to reinstall the drivers and now I get BOOTMGR is missing error.

Okay. So I googled how to fix that and it brought me to the boot up options and I selected my harddrive and other options. The only suggestion I see is to insert the windows 10 CD. But my computer was built without a cd drive and I was instructed to not do a system restore with an ssd card.

I am not a computer guy and now my computer wont even get passed this error messages. I do everything on my pc and am desperate for a fix.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is news to me since I have restored MANY images to a ssd.

First and foremost, no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. I am going to assume this is a big box system and not a custom build. Post the exact brand, model# and service tag# If by chance this is a custom build, post the exact motherboard, processor, ram, etc.

Post what operating system ie win10, win8, linux, etc.

3. tecknurd

tecknurd

Never remove items from the device manager including if you don't know what you are doing. From what I'm reading, you may have accidentally remove important items from the device manager, so Windows can't be used. Your data is still there. The data can be access using Linux, but Linux is a different operating system and it works differently. I don't recommend Linux unless Windows repair doesn't work.

If you haven't try this disconnecting the external drive is probably all you need to do.

Assuming that the BIOS boot devices has other devices that it searches for booting to an operating system. You will need to either download Windows 10 on another computer and put it on a flash drive. Another option is ask your computer manufacturer to give you a Windows disc. Then you can do a Windows repair. Make sure the disc is not a restore disc if you ask your computer manufacturer. A restore or another name is a system restore will lose all your data. Selecting the repair option when using Windows install disc or flash drive to try to fix your issue.

Steps to repair Windows is different for each version.
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efuxAeCVuiA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC_5eb9wTfk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s9Jd1miS_8

I don't need to know what hardware since it's a software issue. Having information about the hardware is meaningless.

4. Outlaw466

Outlaw466 Thread Starter

My friend that built the computer recommended I use another computer to download Windows 10 Iso from Microsoft and rufus to install a boot start to a flash drive. Everything seems to be going smooth until the end and it keeps giving me "there was a problem running this tool 0x8004205 - 0xa001a"

I googled the error code and people said the fix was to move windows 10 iso to the flash drive then run it in admin mode but still no fix :(

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Use the MS media creation tool to make the bootable flash drive.

6. tecknurd

tecknurd

Do the steps that the following video does.
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5tyj6_0G9o

Also, use the USB 2.0 port on your computer even though your USB flash drive may be 3.0 capable. You may need to temporarily disable your anti-virus before putting the Windows 10 ISO on your flash drive. Moving the ISO to the flash drive won't work. You have to use Rufus or Microsoft Media Creation Tool do this. These utilities are similar how they turn a USB flash drive to be bootable and copy the contents that are within the ISO to the USB flash drive. After you are done and you have disabled your anti-virus, turn back your anti-virus on.

7. Outlaw466

Outlaw466 Thread Starter

Sorry the ms media creation center is where I recieve the "there was a problem running this tool 0x8004205 - 0xa001a"

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!