1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BOOTMGR missing/Grub error

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by web_guru, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. web_guru

web_guru Thread Starter

Computer had Linux on, and I wanted a dual boot with Windows. However, when I tried to run an XP installer of USB (laptop with no optical drive), it told me that a dll file was missing. I looked this up online, and apparently it was because there was no existing windows installation.

So, I used GParted to remove all the existing Linux partitions, and make one big ntfs partition (foolish in hindsight)

But now, whenever I try and turn it on or boot off a USB, it gives me the error message

"BOOTMGR is missing.
    Please press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart"

I can get into the BIOS, and have excluded the HDD form the Boot list, but the error still appears....

I have tried various USB sticks, and OSs on those sticks (including Ubuntu, Puppy and DSL), but that message still appears.

In desperation, I went into the BIOS settings and reset everything to default values. Now, when I boot, I get a grub error message: "unknown filesystem"; this is likely due to the fact that GParted deleted all the Linux partitions.

So, I would be immensely grateful if anyone could suggest a way to run any OS on the system, I have no important data that needs to be preserved as it's all backed up.

2. arochester

arochester

3. web_guru

web_guru Thread Starter

That sounds just right, but because the laptop lacks an optical drive, and it refuses to boot xp from usb, I can't follow that tutorial. I think my problem is more to do with not being able to boot from the usb.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice