1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bootp etc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wirebox, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wirebox

wirebox Thread Starter

Hi
    Little help needed.
    Ill get to point:
    I have 2 pc's. But one pc is without harddisk.
    Is this possbile to boot pc without HDD from second pc( with HDD )
    Pc is running at Windows XP
    I have heard something about "booting over LAN". But i dunno exacly what to do.
    Please help me.
    Thank You

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Your BIOS has to support booting from the LAN, that's the first thing you have to check. Then, I believe you'll have to be running one of the server versions of Windows, though I'm not absolutely sure. In any case, if you don't have a boot from LAN option in your BIOS configuration for bootable devices, you're stuck.

Why are you trying to do this anyway? I'd put a hard disk in the machine, doing everything over the LAN isn't going to break any speed records!

3. wirebox

wirebox Thread Starter

Yes i know that its easyer to use HDD but i havent find it yet.
    But i need to get pc workin'.
    Now, if in BIOS there isn't 'Boot from LAN' option. Is this possible to use somekind of floppy boot disks?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suppose anything's possible, but I'm still confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. You're trying to "get pc workin'", but you're not willing to do the obvious and just put a hard disk into it? I see 2.5gig hard disks on Pricewatch for $22 shipped, so I'm having difficulty with screwing around trying to boot the system over the LAN, unless there's a damned good reason to do so.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice