1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boots to undesirable user/system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StreetCop, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StreetCop

StreetCop Thread Starter

This may be a comedy of errors, but here goes.

1) SD/HC card in standard SD slot during re-boot. Nothing happens, get the blue HP splash screen before it even tries to boot from hard drive.

2) hit F12 for System Restore as I couldn't get anything else to come up. I was initially thinking it was going to take me to the Windows System Restore Points and I would choose the latest one--not the HP installed copy of XP and re-install everything. As Restore is running, I find the SD/HC card issue....ARGH.

So now the computer runs just fine, but of course it installed all new XP files. The problem is that I wish to use the previous users/admins that are still in the system. All the files are there, but upon boot there's no option as to who to log in under.

The new: HP_Administrator.YOUR-4DACD0EA75

The old: HP_Administrator

Is it possible to change the boot path/parameters back to the old one and move on?

2. Miggs

Miggs

Ouch, how do you know "all the files are there" is there a user "HP_Administrator" under documents and settings ?
    Have you tried clicking on start/shutdown/logoff then trying the old HP_Administrator account ?

3. StreetCop

StreetCop Thread Starter

Yep they are there. The old HP_Administrator and the two limited users (Mike and Kids) files and info are under the doccuments and settings folder. All the files are accessible with Windows Explorer. I can't simply log off and log in under the old user/administrator because they don't show up.

I've tried looking for those old users in the user management stuff to turn them "on" but they don't show up.

Another thought, I haven't tried because I don't want to make things worse at this point. I do have an external WD 1.5TB hard drive installed that has been "backing" things up as I go along for several months now. Do you think that software (if re-installed under this new admin) would fix things? I'm guessing it would only restore/replace files such as .jpg's and not system settings, registries, etc...

I have coppied all the old user info onto that external drive so it's safe. Not too concerned about all the safety of the quicken files, pictures, etc. But re-installing all the programs, user accounts, etc. seems like a huge hassle.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice