1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

boots up but can't use desktop or control panel

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by golfwidow1, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golfwidow1

golfwidow1 Thread Starter

Hi, I can boot up but when I click desktop , I can't open icon, no internet . printer etc. I can't use control panel either. Possibly lost some something. I can boot safe mode and do some changes and I can do RUN. Please help can't afford new computer , this one seems to work fine until now.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

HI and welcome to TSG.
    If this is your Win 98.
    Reboot tap F 8 at startup>choose command prompt>type
    scanreg /restore [note space] choose date prior to problem..not the oldest.

3. golfwidow1

Hi , Thank you for trying to help me, I did scanreg but my last boot restore dates were the 4 last time I have been trying to fix this problem no from before. Is there a way to go back to December? I was told to do a HiJackthis download and send results to fix from another site. Is that a good idea and how do I do a download when I can't even open anything?

4. blues_harp28

Hi see if scanreg /fix works.
    F8 command prompt type scanreg /fix [note space]

5. golfwidow1

I ran the fix and rebooted nothing still, thanks for send all the good stuff but how do I even load it into my machine, I can't do nothing in regular and no internet in safe mode. I'm on another machine now. Do I download on a disk and then hit run? I have spyware , anti virus and spam. All updated.

6. blues_harp28

Hi reboot F 8 choose Step by Step Confirmation.
    Click Yes to all.
    You may be able to see what not loading correctly.
    In safe mode do all run correctly...icons..control panel???
    Have you run all your Av..Spyware scans in safe mode?

7. golfwidow1

This is what happen with step by step. Mac Init Error: Problems tin Devices ROM , Error loading device driver DC21X4.DOS, Error 7306: The driver failed to initalize. Either there is a error in the loader program or in NET.EXE or The loade may be trying to load the driver into high memory. Make sure that the setting for you network adapter are correct. For more information see the documentation for your network adapter , DC21x4.DOS as not loaded. Error 7321 Network card drivers failed to load. Cannot find device file tha maybe needed to run Windows or application. Window registry or system INI file refe to this device file but hthe device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try installing the associated application using it . Uninstal or set up program. If you stil want to us application or association with this device, try reinstalling that application to replace missing file. c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd

I couldn't use the anti virus CA or an updated ad ware but dide the older ad ware.

8. blues_harp28

Hi do you have the original Win98 install CD?
    Unless someone else has any ideas..Id reinstall Windows operating system.

9. golfwidow1

No install cd. I always was mad it never came with one. I did hear you can make a copy of one to save incase you need it , is that true? I also think you can send for one , but 98 is too old now. Unfortunately both are too late for me. Is there a place to download the files I'm missing. I found a couple of posts that told me how to delete that VXD file and others, so it won't look for it. I think when I uninstalled mcafee a about a year ago all this started because it didn't uninstall all the parts of the application.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice