Boots up, Shuts Down , Boots up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jamesta999

I have a strange problem.

When I press the power button it boots up as normal up until about 3/4 seconds into booting, it just shuts off automatically.

DAMN!

A few seconds after that, it boots up again automatically by it self and just does the same process. On inspection (I look in the case) I see that the CPU fan only spins once, thats for like 1 second then the 3/4 secs later the PC shuts down.

So lets break it down:

1. I press power button to turn it on
  2. Computer boots up for 2 - 4 seconds (CPU fan spins for 1 or less second)
  3. Computer shuts down
  4. 2 seconds later computer starts powering on
  5. Repeat cycle until I shut down manually (pull plug/hold down button)
Let me just give ya'll a bit more of a back story. Recently I have been having quite a few problems. Computer shut down and wouldnt be turned on. We decided to buy a new powersupply ToughPower 500w over my poop SUNPRO 470w. That wasn't the problem - it was the graphics card. So we had to DOWNGRADE as a tempoary from the 8800GT to the 8300GS.

I am unable to acess my main PC at all. I'm posting this from another one.

SPECS - NO OVERLOCKS
:

500w ToughPower PSU
Thermaltake Soprano Case
NVIDIA 8300GS (Downgraded from 8800gt as a temp)
E6600 Core 2 Duo

GA-965P-DS4 Mobo

jamesta999

*UPDATE*
I let it just continue and let it repeat the cycle and now it finally booted up into the very first screen where it detects all the ide channels etc and it just hangs there.

It says DETECTING IDE DRIVES .......

Does the fan turn freely?

When you say it "boots up", do you mean that you get into Windows? Can you get into Safe Mode?

Enter BIOS setup and try setting the defaults.

jamesta999

No, its more the action of booting up. It begins to boot up, so from when I press button - it stars for 5 seconds then closes for around 2/3 then repeats.

However, I just let it go and eventually it would go into the first screen you see where it detects drives and you can go into BIOs and change boot mode from.

It just hangs on that screen and says Detecting Ide Drives: .....

jamesta999

Cant, it doesn't move from that screen. It just doesn't move from the very first screen.

You know how when you boot up the very first screen is like DEtecting IDE Drives etc. IDE PRimary/Secondary and stuff. Thats what its on atm.

Try re-seating your graphics card. While your there make certain all of your cards are firmly seated. If they are seated try a different graphics card (again) Plus, if that doesn't help unhook the power from all drives except the main hard drive. I know that sounds odd. But, it wont hurt to try it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online